Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ive found a MacPro 2.66 beeing sold for 1.950 euro VAT excluded. Is this some tricky sell? Can it be one of the first revisions, but then again where there any first revisions? I have no idea how it can be so cheap!

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
zoran said:
Ive found a MacPro 2.66 beeing sold for 1.950 euro VAT excluded. Is this some tricky sell? Can it be one of the first revisions, but then again where there any first revisions? I have no idea how it can be so cheap!

Where have you seen it?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
zoran said:
Fraudulent sites that purport to sell Apple hardware at surprisingly low prices are very common. Be careful.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It doesnt matter, i live in Europe!

What is Fraudulent? How can i be carefull? Is there something i can check?

eyemacg5

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Derbyshire, England
zoran said:
It doesnt matter, i live in Europe!

What is Fraudulent? How can i be carefull? Is there something i can check?

Definitions of fraudulent on the Web:

* deceitful: intended to deceive; "deceitful advertising"; "fallacious testimony"; "smooth, shining, and deceitful as thin ice" - S.T.Coleridge; "a fraudulent scheme to escape paying taxes"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* In the broadest sense, a fraud is a deception made for personal gain, although it has a more specific legal meaning, the exact details varying between jurisdictions. Many hoaxes are fraudulent, although those not made for personal gain are not best described in this way. Not all frauds are hoaxes - electoral fraud, for example. Fraud permeates many areas of life, including art, archaelogogy and science. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraudulent

* Dishonest; based on or obtained by fraud.
http://www.federated.ca/gloss/f.htm

Selling some thing you dont own basically also for a word you can google
Code:
define:<word here>

And i'm not sure but maybe you could phone apple up and ask if the compay who is selling the MP is an authorised apple retailer?

-jake

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This is a authorised resseller yes, he doesnt have the MacPros online to some site, he emailed me the price!

Still the main question is, can this be a clone or whatever tricky MacPro? And how can i check?

So really now, is 1950euro excl VAT an unreachable price? I mean cant he just have very small profit out of that MPro?

alien2108

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2005
Maribor, Slovenia
Zoran@

1950EUR exl. VAT is nothing special...You can get it for same price (1959EUR) at one of the biggest Mac resellers in Germany/Austria (and with 3 years warranty for only 69EUR), even for 1839 EDU:

http://www.cancom.de/online/wa/CancomSEDA/isoSearch?id=MacSysteme_Mac_Pro

Don't buy at Apple store in Europe...Prices suck so bad it stinks...

Bought mine 2.66Ghz with 2Gb ram and 3 years warranty for price of only 2.66Ghz on Apple store...

BR, Alen

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So u dont think its something sneakey huh? Cause everybody else is selling it for 2.170euro VAT excl. and the 1.950 price seemed way too low!
Neat site u posted there mate, but i cant speak german and im having probs in reading, and from what i see theres no transition to english language! :mad:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
cancom, havent actually bought anything from them but there is a UK store and they seem perfectly legit to me

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
xUKHCx said:
cancom havent actually bought anything from them but there is a UK store and they seem perfectly legit to me

what do u mean?

alien2108

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2005
Maribor, Slovenia
Don't worry about Cancom...This is very big company with 25 offices and over 1000 employees in Germany, Austria, Swiss and UK (english page http://www.cancomuk.com/ but prices in GBP). Very well known as great Apple reseller. And prices speak of the volume they must handle...

Bought my PowerBook, Mac Mini and Mac Pro there...

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
alien2108 said:
Don't worry about Cancom...This is very big company with 25 offices and over 1000 employees in Germany, Austria, Swiss and UK (english page http://www.cancomuk.com/ but prices in GBP). Very well known as great Apple reseller. And prices speak of the volume they must handle...

Bought my PowerBook, Mac Mini and Mac Pro there...

Well one problem im facing with purchasing abroad is, what happens with tech support?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Sorry should have put a comma in my original post, have editted it now.

The website has been around for ages, never heard a bad word about them (havent really looked) I personnaly would have bought stuff from them but i get edu discount from apple so it is cheaper for me to get it from apple direct.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
where in europe do you acctually live, as if you have crazy sales tax that'll be the reason for the discrepency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.