Cheap no-contract Verizon postpaid smartphone?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by question fear, Mar 19, 2014.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I currently have a Lumia 928. I like it, but it's got some issues (mainly that the earpiece keeps cutting out, so I can only reliably have conversations over bluetooth or on speakerphone like I'm a reality tv show contestant).

I'm starting to get really worried the earpiece might just go entirely, and then I'll really be stuck. It's under warranty, so I could send it to Nokia for repair, but if I do that I'm out a phone for at least a week if not two. I'm reluctant to go to Verizon and be forced to reup my contract or agree to their crappy EDGE deal, and if I am in that situation I'd rather wait until the summer and see what the spring phones are like.

So anyone have any ideas on what I could pick up as a stopgap? I know it's a huge stretch but anything under $150 would be ideal...I know that means an old Android most likely, which is fine. IIRC, the Moto G won't work on Verizon Postpaid, correct? It has to go prepaid?

Of course, my other alternative is to hunt down a dumbphone, since i have a cellular iPad Mini. If I did that, any thoughts on what to look for?

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

You could go with a Droid Razr M. Not the best phone and it is a little old but it should be useable for 2 weeks. You should also be able to get an iphone 4 for that. Again not the best but it should be doable for 2 weeks.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Moto G's seem to be popular. Don't know what prepaid vs postpaid means.

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I would think the Moto G would work on pre-paid unless they are using different towers or something.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The catch with the Moto G is it's locked in to prepaid service for 6 months. Can't use it on postpaid until that time is up. Otherwise, it's a very nice phone for the $100 asking price on Verizon.

7. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I think that only applies if the phone has already been activated on a prepaid plan.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Guess it might be worth a try. The Moto G is already the best value proposition at $179/199. At $99? It's a steal.

9. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I second that Moto G phone.

10. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Save up for the moto X. Its the best verizon phone right now and its not that expensive. It was on sale a few weeks ago. Hopefully it will go on sale again. Right Now its 399.99 no contract.

----------

I wouldn't buy an iphone 4 today. They are atrocious to use on iOS7.

Why not bring it to the verizon store. They usually will overnight you a replacement if there is an issue during warranty.

11. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

He wants a stop gap device. Why the hell would you suggest a flagship as a stop gap?the iPhone 4 or Moto G will be fine as stop gap devices OP

12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Either they're delusional or don't take the time to read threads.

13. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

As a lurker here, that guys posts generally are extremely biased. Regarding Apple products he especially attacks.

14. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I am using a Moto G just got it, 2 sims one on plan and one prepaid. Works great.

15. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Moto G on Verizon or another provider? From what I'm reading it sounds like Verizon won't activate it on a contract plan. :(