cheap or free flash maker/editor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mars714, Mar 28, 2008.

1. mars714 macrumors newbie

i looked at: http://www.osflash.org/ and could not find too many mac things... i'm not worried about complicated action script or whatever, in fact i have a free maker now, (http://www.soft32.com/download_203443.html) but it dose NOT have action script, that's why i need one that dose, for lets see, less then adobe's outrageous $699! i mean really! $699?! how can ANYONE afford that? any how, help would be appreciated.

2. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I really don't know a good one. I really wish they would make SwishMax for the Mac.

3. mars714 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. dstearns96 macrumors member

dstearns96

find a cheap version of flash mx on ebay, the flash mx version compiles for flash 6 and has actionscript 2

5. occlusian macrumors newbie

I bought Flash as an individual in 2004 (I believe it was a tad bit cheaper then -- around $550 or so). This was truly at the height of the demand for Flash designers, and I easily made the money back. Like, in a couple of days. And this is the (mostly) answer to why Flash is expensive: its expensive because its intended for "professional" (thus "revenue-generating") use.

Get the Flash demo and a serious book on Flash's two components (animation and actionscript). Really try it out. If you find yourself not using it in 30 days, then skip it. If you're still using it, pony up -- $500 is a couple days wage at a fast food place, and if you learn it, you'll be able to easily make your money back.

Oh, and regarding Flash alternatives, I truly wish there was one. Ironically, when Macromedia still existed (they of Flash's development), Adobe itself published an alternative (GoLive, was it?) which undercut Macromedia's ($400-$500some) cost. People felt it was pricey then. Adobe buys Flash, adds almost nothing except their trademark memory holes, and adds $2 or $300 to the price.

No competition sucks.

So does Adobe, come to think of it. Pray for a Microsoft PS alternative -- you'll see a changed market overnight.

6. Acomber macrumors newbie