Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkynSea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
SoCal
OK- so I have a MacBook and plan to set it to run windows & I also am shopping an external monitor.

I keep seeing these super cheap PC package deals- I am wondering about purchasing one to get the windows software, and external monitor?

windows vista $150 plus a monitor couple hundred vs $500 for a dell package...

Thoughts/suggestions/direction?

Thanks in advance-
Drew

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
OK- so I have a MacBook and plan to set it to run windows & I also am shopping an external monitor.

I keep seeing these super cheap PC package deals- I am wondering about purchasing one to get the windows software, and external monitor?

windows vista $150 plus a monitor couple hundred vs $500 for a dell package...

Thoughts/suggestions/direction?

Thanks in advance-
Drew

The Dell will come with a license to run Windows stuck right to the chassis. The media will most likely not be installable on anything other than that model of Dell due to BIOS hooks.

So, that isn't the way to go.

If you're wanting a license to run Windows, without the full price or technical support access, you should take a look at some of the online parts stores. Sometimes they sell Windows in a bundle with a keyboard since the license says it has to be shipped with a computer, and the keyboard fit the bill for a while.

On the display, find the one you like, and jump on it. Buying a Dell to get a software package that you can't even install and a display is pretty wasteful. You can't use that Dell since the display is on your MB (and it would be illegal to keep Windows on it and use it on the MB if you were able to figure out how to install it.)

If you're a student, you could always see if your school has free/cheap copies of Vista for students.

So, to summarize, no. Don't do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.