Cheap places to buy (now or refurb) unlocked iPhones suitable for AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fruitninja, Apr 28, 2014.

1. fruitninja macrumors regular

fruitninja

Strangely, iPhones are the only hardware category Apple does not sell in refurbished form.

The two obvious questions:

- What will happen to returned iPhones?

- From where do refurbed phones come from they send you as a replacement?

OK, maybe it's a feedback loop and I already answered myself. :)

But still, where to get the phone cheaper than from the manufacturer? 3rd party is always cheaper. Reliable sources only plz!

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Returned phones are used as refurbished replacements

I'm in Canada and mine have always come from Middletown, PA, United States

3. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

@ionjohn
    Thanks for your feedback.

Besides, anyone has any insights on my main question, that is:

Where to get cheaper factory unlocked iPhones (refurb or new) cheaper than from Apple.com? I can buy all other Apple products from 3rd party reputable retailers for cheaper except I haven't found a source for the might iPhone.

With full one year warranty, eligible for AppleCare.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

You cannot buy "used" iPhones from authorized retailers. Refurbished iPhones are used as replacements. From what I understand a private sale keeps the AC warranty in effect.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do not think you understand how the Apple supply system works. Most 3rd party repair services either use non-Apple parts or parts from broken phones purchased from places like eBay. Apple does not wholesale it's parts to 3rd parties.

6. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I have seen AT&T and at least one Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) offer refurbished iPhones for sale.

However, if your goal is an inexpensive iPhone, I suggest your look on ebay or the classifieds here.

There are plenty of used iPhones on the market that look brand new. Not everyone beats the heck out of there phone.

Worse case is that the battery is weak and you take it to Apple to get a battery replaced for $80.

7. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe I did not choose my words carefully (maybe I did). I am not looking for a 'cheap used iPhone from eBay' at all.

Say a MacBook costs $1000 on Apple.com. The same Macbook costs just $950 on MacMall.com (reputable distributor, suitable for AppleCare and all). Strangely, MacMall.com does not sell the iPhone.

So my original question, for the 3rd time, hopefully it is clear enough by now:

I am simply looking for a cheaper option to but a factory unlocked iPhone suitable for AppleCare than the ones sold on Apple.com. Just because. For whatever reason I would source not only the laptop from a 3rd party but the phone too. After all, why not?

I hope I didn't ask something too difficult. :)

Thanks, I appreciate you guys!

8. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

OK. Maybe that's non-existent what I am asking for. Unlike Macs and also iPads, iPhones are different kinds of animals that are not sold cheaper by reliable 3rd parties than the Mothership?

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Pretty much. There's hardly ever a cheaper price at any authorized retailer or carrier store for the iPhone. Sometimes, however, they give you something extra, like a store gift card. Also, Best Buy sometimes knocks as much as $50 off but you'd have to be a new customer and the phone is locked.

10. 869639 macrumors 6502

I would say eBay -- there are a few larger retailers on eBay that take part in the "eBay deals" and usually have the iPhone 5/5C/5S models at good discount prices....

I have seen then 5S unlocked for $579 so far, 5C as low as $479 etc and can be found cheaper if you keep up with it all the time....only down side is that you have to wait for it...its a waiting game and there is no definite answer as to how often they have the sales.