cheap portable ? Doesn't have to be Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sceneshifter, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey guys,

Since this is pretty much the only forum I visit I'd rather ask here, a lot of you seem to know what you're talking about :)

So, my gf needs a laptop for work, well not needs, but it would ave her a lot of time. The thing is she is sick and tired of dragging along her Toshiba, a 'monstruous' 15" thing. She finds that way too big, the MB she finds nice but would prefer something really light and compact. It needs to run windows, office, and then internet stuff, so no games or anything heavy, ever, the heaviest use she gets out of it is probably watching youtube hehe.

I was wondering if anyone has some tips for affordable NEW (no refurbs) laptops, obviously not from Apple. The eeePC for example is no good however, that's just no good. Affordable would be around 500Euro or at least near it :)

Thanks

2. weckart macrumors 68040

There is your problem. Light, compact and cheap. And new but not an eeePC. Something has got to give here, and it is probably the 'new'.

Looks like a used Toshiba Portege or maybe even a Dell X1, if you are lucky, is the way to go here, but forget about new if the ASUS is to small or the cheap Acers are too large. Small still comes at a premium, these days, particularly with established brands.