(Cheap) Prepaid iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Unprocessed1, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Currently on Verizon, but really want to get an iPhone 4.

My basic needs are: lots of texting (500-1000/month), very minimal voice/minutes (100-200 minutes), and I would probably skip a data plan since I have wireless access 80-90% during the day, and as long as I can get texts/calls, data isn't needed every single second of the day.

What's the easiest way to get a cheap/convenient SIM card for this to work? I don't know much about how GSM works, so this is all pretty new to me.

Is getting a GoPhone and putting the SIM in the IP4 my best bet?

Any advice/expertise is much appreciated!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can get a prepaid gophone sim and use it on an iphone 4.
    No visual voicemail or MMS though. Rest will work fine.

3. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The 25 cents per text is a killer though. Do voicemails counts against your minutes?

I would seriously consider using google voice and something like Text+ to use to lessen the need for buying lots of minutes - would that be a viable solution if I'm constantly on wireless?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I believe if you call voicemail it will take minutes off since you wont have visual voicemail.
    Also I think the texts where 10cents but Im not positive.

5. bella92108 macrumors 68000

You're a PERFECT candidate for either prepaid (GoPhone) from AT&T where you can get unlim talk and text for $60, and light data plan ($20 per 100 mb), or just pay per minute talk, and then subscribe to a prepaid text plan (ie $10 for 1000)... or since data isn't important, do t-mobile... their rates are much lower, you're just limited to EDGE since the iPhone's 3G doesn't have their frequency, but sounds like that's a non-issue since data wasn't on your must-have list. If I could do without data I'd be w\ T-Mobile hands-down! That's always the kicker where people get stuck having to go with ATT and on a post-paid account. You want the data, you're stuck with ATT in the US. Of course there are alternatives now-a-days... the Virgin Mobile MyFi puck is $40 a month flat, and you get unlimited internet, so u can always carry that. People carry cigarettes so what's carrying a MyFi puck. lol

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

http://www.mysimplemobile.com/Index.aspx

Unlimited text and minutes for $40 or if you want data, you can always add on unlimited edge data for $20. It's edge because it's on the T-Nobile network and their network doesn't support 3G on the iPhone.

Your iPhone would need to be unlocked.

7. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

T-Mobile's Pay As You Go plans seem enticing. $15/month for unlimited texting and 10c per minute for calling. So for 100 minutes it will cost you 10 bucks, making your monthly cost only $25!

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You can also use H2O (they have SIMs at Best Buy).
    https://www.h2owirelessnow.com

Your iphone doesn't need to be unlocked and the H2O SIM will activate the iphone 4 as well.