Cheap protection for wrist area on 13" Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lokiju, Jan 10, 2012.

1. lokiju macrumors 6502

I'm pretty amazed that I can't find something dirt cheap that will protect the wrist area of my MBA 13" 2011 model.

I found a silicone keyboard skin/protector on Amazon for 83 cents shipped (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TPL260/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details) but anything I can find for just the wrist area is $12 and up.

I don't need anything fancy, just something that will prevent me from scratching up the wrist area while wearing a watch.

Does anyone know of any super cheap yet very functional solution?

I can't understand why companies like BSE charge through the nose for their skins for the MBA but only $8 for a MBP. Seems everyone just charges as much as they can for the hot item the MBA is.

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

If you want something really cheap use something you already have. As the guy above me suggested, any sort of tape will do.

3. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

You might also consider covering your watch. Depending on how tightly you wear it your watch and the kind of shirt you wear, a sweat band for the wrist may do the job. Slip it up over your watch when typing and slip it back when you're done. This could also be acheived by cutting a sock. If you sew, you could make something that looks more finished for when you're typing in public...if you're concerned about that kind of thing.

4. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to use something that will leave a sticky residue or cause damage itself.

I'm surprised I can't so far find a roll of static cling like protective film for cheap that can just be cut to size.

Still looking but was hoping someone would of discovered something like this already.

Or if someones found from a seller a cheap wrist area protective material that fits.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

6. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

lol no.1

If you're doing work for any extended amount of time it should be coming off anyway. That said I wear a fairly heavy watch, the Seiko Monster

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

One of the local motorcycle shops near me sells sheets of that 3M type material for a few bucks a sheet. They obviously buy it in big bulk rolls, but they have some cut into smaller sheets. If you do a little calling around, and don't mind cutting it yourself, you could probably do protect it for just a few bucks with some fairly heavy duty film.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I never thought about that since I havent worn a watch in so long....I always have a clock in some form, on my computer or phone....and I hate jewelry of all kinds...lol

9. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip.

I went by my local Frys Electronics on lunch but they didn't have anything at all. I swear the more I go to that store the more I wonder why I bother. Seem to walk out of there having not bought a thing more times than not.

10. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

$12.99 seems pretty cheap compared to all the time you are spending looking for something cheaper.

11. Pardus macrumors member

Pardus

I rock a terry cloth wrist band while I work... slides great on my desk with a mouse and add some comfort. Now it's sort of gag gift too, I have about 20 of them.

12. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

Just bought this http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-insula...3PSS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1326223807&sr=8-8

Have Prime shipping and speed to delivery was a factor for me as well as I really want this protected this week with as much as I've been using my personal MBA at work.

A non-issue at home was I dress down and casual with no watch as well. At work I dress for the corporate environment I'm in which includes a metal band watch.

Thanks for the input everyone!

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

My local Apple store is particularly helpful.

I went in to ask about this same issue.

They enrolled me in a 3 minute "quick training session"'for only $30.00

Upon graduation I now know how to remove my watch before it gouges the aluminum. Friends & Family are amazed with my new skills. :)

14. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes yes I realize that is an option but not something I'm overly enthusiastic about doing while in meetings or throughout the day. I'd sooner not wear a watch before taking it on and off just to use my MBA throughout the day.

15. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I am glad you found something. The sheets I mention are rather inexpensive, but the stuff is really thick, and may have been cumbersome to work with on a laptop, I have not tried cutting it and placing it for that purpose. I imagine it wouldn't be the easiest stuff. On the flip side, if you think Wrapsol, Zagg and the like offer good protection, this stuff is at least twice as thick. They sell it to folks for putting on the bikes for off road use to protect the plastics, etc.

16. sl33py, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

sl33py macrumors newbie

lol, i am like the OP as well. Well for me, i just used this http://www.amazon.com/Kittrich-Roll...JNVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326250259&sr=8-1 . I had some of the clear adhesive bookcover lying around; so used paper for measurements and a cutting board to cut the pieces and used a small scissor to trim around the edges. It fits perfectly on the armrest and looks good :). I will try to take a picture and post it later.

*Edit*
    So here are the images of my MBA. As you can see, I used the adhesive bookcover on the armrest and the lid. And the end result is very good too :). Though I wish there was a matte form of the bookcover as that would have been nicer; but for now, this is doing very well for my MBA :).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. You nailed it! This is exactly what I was seeking. I ordered some of that bookcover material also. My Speck case's tabs on the bottom all broke and it won't stay on anymore. I already have the OK from them to ship (at my cost) to them and they'll send me a new one but between paying to ship to them and having no faith it won't just happen again (tons of thread about the issues here) I might just do something like this to wrap my MBA. Looks great in the pics.

18. sl33py macrumors newbie

Ah :). I glad it helped. And to trim around the edges after applying, I just used a small scissor, very much like this one http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/1474389/2/stock-photo-1474389-open-small-scissors.jpg . Just running it carefully along the edges, and as you can see, it came out well :). I do plan to put it on the bottom as well, but I know it won't come as clean due to the rubber feet, but its fine as long as its still kept protected.

Lol, perhaps I should have a a DIY tutorial for when I did mine, along with the Acase Superleggra case for iphone 4s that i dremelled to make the flash hole bigger. But I am glad this helped you lokiju :)

19. firewood macrumors 604

iPhone screen protectors, cut to size. This "touchable" material is easily available many places.

20. sl33py macrumors newbie

Actually firewood, I was referring to the case itself not screen protectors and such. This image should give you an idea on what i did [​IMG]

The middle phone has the original intact case, while the surrounding two are the dremelled /modified case :).