Cheap readily available plug-n-play webcam

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Donny Jeffcoat, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Donny Jeffcoat macrumors newbie

im lookin for a decent webcam that will work in os x without any fuss and can be found at places like target. im runnin 10.4 on a quicksilver G4.

website is ok if theres free shipping/cash back but id prefer to pick one up locally.

2. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

I use a Hue Webcam (Amazon sells them, should be easy enough to find with free shipping). Works brilliantly but can be a bit hard to find in some areas so YMMV.

3. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Ice cam.

Not the best but look at how inexpensive it is. Got one for my parents, works great. Plug and play.

Ice Cam

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Many webcams lacking manufacturer support for the Mac work just fine with the opensource macam webcam driver. You will find a list of supported webcams on the macam website.

5. Donny Jeffcoat thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i know about macam, its a mess sortin through all the cams and gettin the exact device ID and tryin to find them. i want somethin that i can pick up in a store. lookin on logitech's site most of their cams say they dont work with mac but i figure they should, at least with 3rd party drivers. id like something that you can clip onto your monitor.....like the quickcam pro. dont really wanna wait for shipping either.

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I have one of these and if the room is not very well lit, you will get poor results. But i agree that the price is very good.

7. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

XBOX camera, plug and play and very readily available.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Bunk! macam either works or it does not. It usually works and works well.

9. Donny Jeffcoat thread starter macrumors newbie

i heard the xbox live camera sucks in the dark. does it work with skype?

i think the playstation cam is supposed to work too, that any good?

the icecam looks good, reviews on amazon arent that great but pretty good price.

i wanna just go to a store and get one rather than order online

10. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Works great with Skype, iChat, and even other applications that can interact with a camera. As far as in the dark, it works good in low light, not stellar but good, no cheap readily available webcam is going to have stellar dark or low light performance.

11. Donny Jeffcoat thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Donny Jeffcoat thread starter macrumors newbie

so i got the syba one aka Connectland usb webcam. it works fine was immediately recognized but i cant get the mic to work in video chat. does anyone know of a solution to this?

edit: its also crashing my browser frequently.......both camino and firefox :(