Cheap Refurbished Macbook for Modding

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ccashman92, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2010
    Hey, I'm looking for a place to buy a cheap Macbook that I can mod and enhance. Does anyone know a good place to find one? Preferable refurbished since I would like it to look new.
  2. AshMan macrumors regular

May 1, 2010
  3. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    You can get refurbished Macs from the Apple website. Granted, it's only 2-3 hundred less than new.... but they are backed by the Apple warranty and support just like a new mac.

Try looking in your town/city for an Apple "Authorized Reseller" that sells used or damaged Macs :) IMO, your best best is craigslist. Plenty of bargains to be found there, no matter where you live. I see lots of MacBook and MacBook Pros get sold for relatively cheap because of technical problems the average Machead can fix. Lots of "cracked-screen" or aesthetically damaged unibody MB/MBPs get sold for 300-400ish (at least where I live in Vancouver) even though a new screen costs around 150-200 only. Happy searching!
  4. R94N macrumors 68020

May 30, 2010
    Yeah, Apple is probably the best place to go to first for refurbished Macs.
  5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

May 20, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    +1. I, too am interested.
  6. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2010
    No Macbook are being sold around here on Craigslist. I'll keep an eye open. Also, I would get one from Apple but they only sell the new Macbook for refurbished and its still $850. I don't want to spend to much cause I'm planning on doing a lot of cosmetic mods.

I plan on doing the common Apple Logo mod, a keyboard backlight mod, a stand-by light mod, I'm planning on painting the casing, and a couple other lil things. We'll see.