Cheap Refurbished Macbook for Modding

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ccashman92, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Hey, I'm looking for a place to buy a cheap Macbook that I can mod and enhance. Does anyone know a good place to find one? Preferable refurbished since I would like it to look new.

2. AshMan macrumors regular

3. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

You can get refurbished Macs from the Apple website. Granted, it's only 2-3 hundred less than new.... but they are backed by the Apple warranty and support just like a new mac.

Try looking in your town/city for an Apple "Authorized Reseller" that sells used or damaged Macs :) IMO, your best best is craigslist. Plenty of bargains to be found there, no matter where you live. I see lots of MacBook and MacBook Pros get sold for relatively cheap because of technical problems the average Machead can fix. Lots of "cracked-screen" or aesthetically damaged unibody MB/MBPs get sold for 300-400ish (at least where I live in Vancouver) even though a new screen costs around 150-200 only. Happy searching!

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, Apple is probably the best place to go to first for refurbished Macs.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

+1. I, too am interested.

6. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

No Macbook are being sold around here on Craigslist. I'll keep an eye open. Also, I would get one from Apple but they only sell the new Macbook for refurbished and its still $850. I don't want to spend to much cause I'm planning on doing a lot of cosmetic mods.

I plan on doing the common Apple Logo mod, a keyboard backlight mod, a stand-by light mod, I'm planning on painting the casing, and a couple other lil things. We'll see.