Cheap replacement keyboards for imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richardeblack, Sep 7, 2016.

1. richardeblack macrumors newbie

Hello there,
    I am a technician at the University of Lincoln, UK.
    We have several computer labs running old imacs, these are the 2012 ones that have problems with the usb extended keyboards. As a result, we have now run out of old keyboards that will work with the machines and desperately need to find some cheap usb keyboards. The problem is that the only cheap keyboards are for windows so, even with the US layout, the hash key gives us the £ sign and the cmd key is labeled as windows and in the wrong place.
    I am happy with this, just putting a note on the machines telling the students about this, but my colleagues are not.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for cheap (under 20$) keyboards with the UK mac layout please?
    Thank you very much,
    Richard.

2. keysofanxiety, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

At work we opt to use the Apple Cherry keyboards. They're plasticky but fairly reliable and do the trick. They're under £20 I believe, though obviously cheaper in bulk from distributors. :)

EDIT: The exact model is the G82-27020. The picture on the box shows a weird keyboard layout, but they're definitely UK/identical to the UK Mac keyboard layouts (see photo below)

IMG_5375.JPG

3. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I'm a lecturer at the University of Lincoln, UK. I end up buying a second hand Apple keyboard from CeX for my own use as it seemed to be the only source at a reasonable price, but keysofanxiety's suggestion seems very good. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with them if that is the route you go.

4. ddigitaldnr macrumors newbie

ddigitaldnr

I've got a generic Non-Brand Bluetooth Mac Keyboard, You can find them on ebay/amazon The back of mine says Bluetooh Keyboard :p cost about £5/10 each, mine came with a used iMac and works ok, it takes 2 triple AAA's

5. richardeblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the quick responses. We can't use bluetooth as they would last about 30 seconds before someone took them unfortunately. We have looked at the Cherry ones so, based on your response, we will probably just order 20 or so to keep us going. I will also nip down to CeX in Lincoln tomorrow and see what they have. Many thanks.
    Richard.

6. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

You can check the CeX website to see what they have in each store (https://uk.webuy.com). No Apple keyboards in Lincoln.