Cheap Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pogsklinc, Mar 1, 2009.

1. pogsklinc macrumors newbie

Hey. My new aluminum MacBook won't connect to my home's Westell router. After loads of tests, I figured out that there's nothing wrong with my Airport card in the notebook, and decided I need to buy a router. Does anybody have any suggestions for a relatively cheap, reliable, fast router that I can buy? Preferably it should be under 80 dollars.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Here's a good list from Amazon. I like Linksys. I would recommend against anything D-Link, Belkin, or Netgear.

The WRT54GL Linksys is probably the most reliable router ever created. You can also flash it with Tomato firmware or DDWRT which improves reliability. Supposedly the Linksys WRT54G2 is pretty good too and newer. Neither are Wireless N but they are cheap. Of all the N routers the only reliable one I would recommend is the AEBS but that is going to be more expensive.

3. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying so quickly. :) I'll take a look at your suggestions and see what else people recommend.

4. rathernot2 macrumors newbie

I too recommend the Linksys WRT54GL, it's the gold standard in consumer wireless network gear. If you want more range, simply fold some aluminum foil to form a parabola.

5. dentedG4 macrumors member

Do not buy Belkin!!

Please, for the love of god, do not buy a Belkin Wireless-G router. I had one in my old apartment and it gave me nothing but headaches. It was the single most unreliable piece of electronics I have ever owned. They are usually sold at best buy (go figure) and are the cheapest router (~$20) available.

1. The router likes to drop the signal randomly and every time you must restart the router completely. This takes about 90 seconds every time.

2. Sometimes, even when the router shows a full signal it will keep trying to access a web page until my ISP thinks there is something wrong and will tell me to check my wireless connection, which inevitably would mean restarting firefox and clearing the cache in order to access the web page

3. Belkin is currently undergoing investigation for posting fake, positive reviews of their products when they could just be paying somebody to issue firmware updates to actually fix their products.

Rant over. I feel better now:D.

6. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers/rants. ;) Im leaning more towards the Linksys router considered gold standard. Keep the suggestions coming though.

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I actually use the Motorola 850G router. (I think that's the model number. I'm not at home to look it up). It was cheaper than the Linksys, and it can also run DDWRT. I'm not entirely sure if they still make them, but I found mine on ebay very cheap.

8. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. Unfortunatly, they aren't made any more. Thanks anyways.

Please keep the suggestions coming. :)