Cheap screen glass?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SaMaster14, Jul 6, 2011.

1. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

I don't know if its because the damn thing is so thin... but I feel as though the glass on the iPod Touch 4 is pretty thin and cheap. I always keep my devices safe and I was putting on a screen protector a few days ago and as I'm smoothing out the bubbles, with a little pressure, I get a scratch/crack going right through the middle of my screen. I thought it was a scratch in the screen protector at first, but when I took it off I found otherwise. I will get a new protector for the screen regardless to HOPEFULLY prevent further damage, but I'm kinda upset.

My mom has a Droid2 and I've put way more pressure on that screen than I have with my iPod and that thing doesn't have even a tiny scratch. plus my mom keeps her phone in her purse with her keys, wallet, and other hard objects with NO screen protector (that gorilla glass is really something amazing!)
    Also, I have a Blackberry with a screen protector, but I've dropped that thing on concrete many many times from pretty high up and the screen and the device it self has barely any scratches/dents.

Here is a picture of my iPod's screen:
    [​IMG]

Any comments, stories?

2. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Well, that sucks... I've never had trouble with my iPod Touch, or any previous iPods, although I remember a friend had worries about her mini way back.

I have an incipio case/screen protector, and that's worked for me. Unfortunately I didn't pay close enough attention while putting it on so there's a tiny bubble around a speck of dust in the middle, but it's never hindered functionality in any way. It came with two (or three, I forget) screen protectors, so if anything should happen to this one, I have a backup.

3. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

FWIW, my brother's roommate dropped and shattered the screen of his month-old iPod touch getting out of the car in the mall parking garage and 5 minutes later Apple replaced it free of charge. Probably not a typical occurrence though ;)

4. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

Heat expansion? It happened to me once but it didn't really irked me so much.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

So the iPod touch 4 doesnt have Gorilla glass like the iPhone?

6. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

definitely not... I didn't even think the iPhone4 had it..

And I don't think it had anything to do with heat... the iPod was never exposed to large amounts of heat at all that I can think of.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The iPhone 4 has a Gorilla Glass screen.

8. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Really? Corning doesn't mention Apple on their website :confused:

9. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

From Corning's front page:

Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You broke it, but instead of blaming yourself, you are blaming the device? :confused:

11. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

weird..My brother's iPod touch has felt many times and it did't broke..My iPod touch never felt so i don't knoww

12. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

A device like this shouldnt break that easily. As i said before I have been extremely careful with it and have never dropped it. I barely put any pressure on the screen.

So, either I'm just really really strong or the build quality of the glass on the device is cheap. I barely pressed down and the screen just cracked. I also have a couple of scratches on it that I got after two days with the device while it was in my pocket (alone).

I'm sorry to upset some of you fanbois, but I think i have a right to be a little upset. I have used many other devices (apple devices too) and this iPod is one of the most fragile thing I've used. I feel like i could snap it in half with my fingers. And screen feels WAY thinner than the iphone4's.

13. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I imagine the touch is more fragile due to its thinness.

14. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I've carried the 4th gen iPod touch for months. The Griffin case I use covers the back and sides. The front has been unprotected. The only thing the front of my iPod touch needed has been an occasional cleaning.