Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hey guys! Recently, I picked up an IBM X41 ThinkPad, with a silly PATA drive. For those who do not know the 'story' behind this particular ThinkPad, the designers used a 'futuristic' 1.8" PATA HDD. Well, there goes upgrading (without major cosmetic issues). So, I looked around my desk, and my eyes landed on my X300 Sandisk SSD. This is a spare SSD, it isn't blazing fast, but way better than any 7,200 RPM drive. I remembered something about cheap SSDs, the case doesn't reflect the inside electronics in size. I disassembled the SSD, and removed the TINY (like maybe 1") board. I went to eBay, and found a small, inline, SATA->PATA adaptor, and waited for it to arrive. Out of curiosity, I tried it in my PowerBook, and it worked!

I'll post pictures and benchmarks when I can. Now, anyone can upgrade their PowerBook to a 240GB SSD for $65.

However, during testing with my TiBook, the right hinge snapped :(. Considering removing and trying a JB-weld fix, because the 'newer' hinges are crazy expensive.

Adaptor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361098025243?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Reactions: beanboy89

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks for the tip Keaton! My 14" 1.42GHz iBook could really benefit from one, it's super slow!!
Have fun taking that b*tch apart. I am also re-celling my TiBook battery. Fun experiment. I guess 'hinge fix' is another experiment now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Some people like our machines to look good ;). Also, I got something you'd like, Starbucks Gold. Idk HOW I got it, but I have it.
If you bought anything before May 2nd at Starbucks using a registered Starbucks card they gave you free Gold status for a year. Enjoy it.

I left. We are going to a local coffee shop now. Don't like Starbucks new changes. Still have Gold until Feb. 2018 though.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
If you bought anything before May 2nd at Starbucks using a registered Starbucks card they gave you free Gold status for a year. Enjoy it.

I left. We are going to a local coffee shop now. Don't like Starbucks new changes. Still have Gold until Feb. 2018 though.
Ah! Ok. Cool, I guess. It doesn't really give me any benefits.

beanboy89

macrumors regular
May 5, 2016
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the tip. I wish I had known this last week. I just bought and installed a 64 GB KingSpec PATA SSD for my PowerBook.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah! Ok. Cool, I guess. It doesn't really give me any benefits.
Actually it does. 2x stars for every dollar spent. You can earn partial stars. You have to earn 300 stars to get Gold. Then and only then can you earn stars for free stuff. 125 stars per. Since you already have Gold you start off earning directly for the free stuff.

Keep in mind Starbucks does not include tax, syrup or shots or anything above and beyond the base price of your drink when calculating stars.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
So, if I went in there and just ordered a plain, small cup of coffee they'd only give me rewards on the $10 I'd spent? :)
A small cup of coffee is no where near $10! What I get is the largest size, and thats around $8

On topic of the thread, why not just use mSATA? Isn't it practically the same thing?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So, if I went in there and just ordered a plain, small cup of coffee they'd only give me rewards on the $10 I'd spent? :)
Yep. This is why a lot of people are complaining. Used to be one star per purchase. You could ask them to ring each transaction separately.

Customers asked for one star per drink. Starbucks ignored us and made it 2 stars per $1 spent. Now you have to spend more to get the free item. Used to be 12 stars. Now it's 125 stars.

And ha ha, I get the joke :D

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
A small cup of coffee is no where near $10! What I get is the largest size, and thats around $8

On topic of the thread, why not just use mSATA? Isn't it practically the same thing?
Typically an mSATA SSD (decent quality) is a bit more, along with the adaptor.

JRDN

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2015
Have fun taking that b*tch apart. I am also re-celling my TiBook battery. Fun experiment. I guess 'hinge fix' is another experiment now.

Do you happen to have instructions on the re-cell? Sounds like a fun thing to do!

JRDN

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2015
Not really, its pretty generic. I'll take some photos, and I might make a web-guide/PDF.

That'd be excellent if you could do a guide. It would be very helpful! My tibook battery could use some new life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.