Cheap Tequila

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Meecrob, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Meecrob macrumors member

Meecrob

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Be a man! Drink it straight :p

I think the best way is with margarita mix.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Best mixer?

Probably tequila body shots ...

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

My favorite way to drink tequila is as a shot, with a shot of sangrita (not sangria, sangrita is tomato, orange juice, and spices). You trade sips between the two. Its really excellent.

But this probably won't work so well with cheap tequila. There's no getting around the fact that cheap tequila is pretty awful stuff. Mix it in a margarita. You'll need a lot of sweetness to counteract the nasty cheap tequila taste.

A tequila sunrise would also probably work just fine (orange juice with a float of grenadine).

5. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Just HOW cheap is this tequila anyhow? I prefer Patron tequila, which is usually not regarded as cheap, but I sometimes get a bottle of the lowest price stuff at "the local red dot". The cheap stuff is excellent as a tequila sunrise, margarita (frozen is better than on the rocks with the cheap stuff), or you could mix it with lime gelatin, since we all know how jelloshotsrule. You can mix it with cheap sour mix, a splash of red fruit syrup (like strawberry, cherry, fill-in-the-blank-berry...) and throw a cherry in there. You'll think you are drinking a fancier cocktail for only a few P more. Stay with fruity, sweet, or sour flavors to help mask the lack of work and aging that went into the base liquor. If you mix it up right, the cheap stuff could become one of your faves.
    Cheers

6. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

Squirt it goes well with tequila ;-)

7. 66217 Guest

I don't have a single idea what tequila brands do you have in the US, but the best tequila at a reasonable price is Don Julio, and maybe Tradicional.

Ways to drink it? I really prefer shots, either taking them slowly or fast (beware this, you get drunk pretty fast:D). In Mexico we have what we call the mexican flag.

You prepare three shots, one with lime, other one with tequila, and one with sangrita. So this from a green, white (kind of white), and red. Which is the mexican flag colors.

Then you drink it like this: give the lime shot a sip, then the tequila (all of it, and fast:)), and then the sangrita.
    Why lime and sangrita? The lime helps you enjoy the tequila, I don't know why, but it helps. And the sangrita makes the tequila flavor in your mouth disappear, so you are good to go for another tequila shot.:D

8. blue knight macrumors newbie

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

11. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Price isn't always a good indicator!

Personally I find the likes of Patron and Cabo Wabo to be drastically overpriced and they're not that quality products in my opinion.

Personally if you're going to mix then I'd use a bottle of Sauza Hornitos. I've found that it makes a cracking Margarita and it doesn't leave too big a dent in your wallet. Most reposados tend to mix well in my opinion. If you're a tequila beginner then it makes sense to not go too crazy on price.

If you're interested in trying more than diluted tequila here's my top 5 Reposados (In no particular order). Since you're State-Side all of these will be very easy to get your hands on. Us Europeans have a harder time locating these things :(

Don Julio Reposado
    El Tesoro Reposado
    Casa Noble Reposado
    Porfidio
    1921 Reserva

As a side note the El Tesoro is relatively well priced and is a great tequila. As you're State-Side this is easier to get your hands on. But for those that are from the UK the supermarket Sainsbury's have recently started stocking a bottle of Don Augustin (made by the same family) which sells for around 20 pounds and is well worth it!!

12. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

For the cheap stuff use grapefruit juice. It works great.

13. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Ooooh...one more thing :apple: .....if you're gonna be eating fruit after drinking tequila you should try out orange wedges. They give a much different taste sensation from the usual lime and lemon wedges people use.

Okay....two! :)

I'd also recommend munching on dark chocolate whilst drinking tequila....I happen to find this a most pleasant combination.

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Is it too late to change my answer?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't be tempted to use margarita mixers. Get some limes and some triple sec. 2 parts tequilla, 1 part Triple Sec, 1 part lime juice. Pour over ice and shake. Pour over ice in glasses.

Personally I keep some Patron or Cazadores around for shots and some cheaper stuff around for margaritas. Although a top-shelf margarita is a nice treat too.

16. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

interesting.. gotta try that sometime!

17. fotografica macrumors 68040