Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
Hi all,

I'm somewhat of a Mac newbie. I have a quick set question which I can't figure out for the life of me from searching this board. I am trying to get TV-out on my Sawtooth G4 w/ AGP. The item I am hoping can solve this issue is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-RADEON-32mg-VGA-S-VIDEO-DVI-TV-OUT-NEW-CARD-MAC-AGP_W0QQitemZ8770371016QQcategoryZ25449QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

So, the questions:
  1. Will I be able to get TV-out with this card and Tiger drivers?
  2. Will I be able to mirror S-video and VGA out?
  3. Any caveats?

I'm basically using this to watch DVDs and some *.mp4 files produced from Handbrake. It'd be nice if I could make out the words to use iTunes, but if not, if mirroring is available, I'd just do iTunes on my VGA output.

Thanks a lot, guys! This will just tide me over until the IntelBooks are out!

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
esaleris said:
So, the questions:
  1. Will I be able to get TV-out with this card and Tiger drivers?
  2. Will I be able to mirror S-video and VGA out?
  3. Any caveats?

I'm basically using this to watch DVDs and some *.mp4 files produced from Handbrake. It'd be nice if I could make out the words to use iTunes, but if not, if mirroring is available, I'd just do iTunes on my VGA output.

Yes, you will be able to use the S-video out to hook the card to a TV. Your picture will be much blurrier for text, but for movies it will look right. Using it as a monitor for iTunes is out of the question if it is a regular TV. If you read the ebay listing you will note that the card ONLY does mirroring. You can't have two monitors with independent screens. Therefore your main computer monitor and your TV signal with be the exact same. Caveats? Well, for about the same money you could get a Radeon 7000 mac edition on ebay and get about the same performance but WITH the ability to run two monitors. But if that is not important to you, just get the card in the auction above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.