Cheap USB DVB-T dongle compatible with Apple / EyeTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 4np, Jun 10, 2010.

1. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Hi all,

As the World Cup is starting tomorrow it would be ideal to get a cheap DVB-T USB dongle to be able to watch the footie matches at work. I am not really interested in a € 120,- product as reception is limited in The Netherlands (we can only receive the 3 public stations for free in contrast to other countries) and it's just a gadget to be able to watch the matches at work...

You can often find dongles for as cheap as $ 15,- but they often only list compatibility with windows. Depending on the chipsets they actually might as well be compatible with Mac. Does anybody know a cheap dongle which is compatible with Snow Leopard / Elgato's EyeTV software?

Thanks! :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Those cheap dongles should work if you have Windows installed (via Boot Camp or virtualization app). I'm planning on buying a 20€ dongle as well because I don't have a Mac laptop but a PC which I carry with me pretty often in summer. I have Parallels on my Mac so it should work fine via it :cool:

I'm afraid you need EyeTV dongle to get it work on a Mac without Windows

3. 4np thread starter macrumors 6502a

4np

It looks like Hama is selling a relatively cheap (about € 36,-) dongle which is compatible with the Mac and EyeTV software. They only ship it with an old driver for 10.4 ( inkl. Treiber für Mac OS X 10.4 ) although the PDF manual states otherwise ( Mac OS X 10.4.11 / 10.5.x oder neuer Freie USB 2.0 Buchse )? Does anybody have experience with it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@HellHammer: I know I could use a cheap dongle in Parallels / Windoze, but I'd rather get it working in Mac OS X instead ;) But you're right... :)