Cheap USB TV tuner?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ramparts, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

Hey all, I've got a MacBook (black, bought June 2008) and I'd like to buy a USB TV tuner for it. Not looking for anything fancy, just want to be able to watch some of the basic channels through my computer. I've seen some pretty cheap ones ($30-50) but they're all Windows only - are there any similarly-priced Mac alternatives that fit the bill?

(Alternatively, does anyone know how much memory is needed for the Windows tuners to run well? I use Vista in Parallels, Mac has 4 GB RAM so I can allot a decent amount to Windows, if the TV tuner isn't too memory-intensive)

2. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

I use EyeTV DTT and it is great. BUT the OP is in the US (I think), is it available over the pond? Do they have digital over the air broadcasts?

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

We will in February. All TV stations will have to broadcast in digital.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, the US version is called EyeTV Hybrid. But I don't consider $150 exactly cheap.

5. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Yes, and all terrestrial broadcasts will be DTV after February 17, 2009, provided PBO doesn't have his way.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

most (if not all) stations are already broadcasting digital, the Feb. date is for the turn off of the analog signal

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Exactly.

I don't know of a station around here that isn't digital. Pretty sure all have already switched. The transition is only a month away as it is! :eek: