Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Well the ladies iPhone 4 is functionally in pretty rough shape. It's a laggy mess. EVERYTHING lags. Typing lags, answering a call lags, scrolling lags, opening apps lag. Everything. And the power button doesn't work and the home button is starting to get flaky. It has never been abused and has been in a lifeproof case since day one, but I digress. Needless to say, it's a piece and she's tired of it. I want to get her something better without breaking the bank. This will be off contract because she's only a year into it. The experience has to be consistent and lag free. Have been looking at a used Droid DNA. I tried one out when they were first released and was impressed and a few friends have one. Was wondering if there was anything else out there decent enough and maybe a little cheaper.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Well the ladies iPhone 4 is functionally in pretty rough shape. It's a laggy mess. EVERYTHING lags. Typing lags, answering a call lags, scrolling lags, opening apps lag. Everything. And the power button doesn't work and the home button is starting to get flaky. It has never been abused and has been in a lifeproof case since day one, but I digress. Needless to say, it's a piece and she's tired of it. I want to get her something better without breaking the bank. This will be off contract because she's only a year into it. The experience has to be consistent and lag free. Have been looking at a used Droid DNA. I tried one out when they were first released and was impressed and a few friends have one. Was wondering if there was anything else out there decent enough and maybe a little cheaper.

I'd get her a Motorola G - it's a great price off contract, and is available through Verizon.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'd get her a Motorola G - it's a great price off contract, and is available through Verizon.

My recommendation as well. Only $100 off contract and nearly universally praised for it's performance/value.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Caveat with the Moto G - it's only available for prepaid. You can't just use it to replace a phone in a postpaid plan right away.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

If it's a year into contract, take it to the apple store. You might still be under warranty, or close - in which they might give you some leeway. That, plus iOS7's speed increases, will surely help her current device...

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If it's a year into contract, take it to the apple store. You might still be under warranty, or close - in which they might give you some leeway. That, plus iOS7's speed increases, will surely help her current device...

Closest apple store is an hour and a half away.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I believe the moto G only works on verizon prepaid for now. I would look at the moto X. Even if you do get the iphone 4 fixed it still gonna be slow and laggy. Nothing will fix that.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
What about a Droid Razr M?

Jelly Bean
1gb RAM
1.5GHz Snapdragon S4
Amoled
Comfortable to hold
Near stock android
Less than $100

Anyone had or still own one of these? How reliable are they? This would be her first android phone and I need it to be reliable. Not something that will lag or freeze all the time.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Jelly Bean
1gb RAM
1.5GHz Snapdragon S4
Amoled
Comfortable to hold
Near stock android
Less than $100

Anyone had or still own one of these? How reliable are they? This would be her first android phone and I need it to be reliable. Not something that will lag or freeze all the time.

The moto X is the same price on contract and is much better and just as small to hold. Much Better battery life as well. I would spend the extra money on the X if you are paying off contract but the razr m might not even be cheaper off contract anyway.

Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The moto X is the same price on contract and is much better and just as small to hold. Much Better battery life as well. I would spend the extra money on the X if you are paying off contract but the razr m might not even be cheaper off contract anyway.

Less than $100 is the off contract price and that's what I'll be paying. She still has a year left with her current contract. I know that the moto x is like. I have one :p

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Jelly Bean
1gb RAM
1.5GHz Snapdragon S4
Amoled
Comfortable to hold
Near stock android
Less than $100

For less than $100, I say what do you have to lose? Go for it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
For less than $100, I say what do you have to lose? Go for it.

Just don't want to hand the old lady something that ends up being worse than her iPhone 4. I just want the experience to be reliable. And she gets...erhm... unpleasant when her phone doesn't work.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Just don't want to hand the old lady something that ends up being worse than her iPhone 4. I just want the experience to be reliable. And she gets...erhm... unpleasant when her phone doesn't work.

Curious where you are getting a razr M for under 100 dollars.

I also believe think motorola plans to deblur the razr M on the 4.4 update.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Curious where you are getting a razr M for under 100 dollars.

I also believe think motorola plans to deblur the razr M on the 4.4 update.

I didn't even know the M was getting 4.4. I thought it was stuck on 4.1. And it isn't hard to snag one for under $100 on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.