Cheap way to clean computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheShinyMac, Mar 21, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I'm in highschool and don't have alot of money. I rather not spend 30 bucks on over priced iKlear aka watery soap. What are some things I can pick up at my local supermarket on my way home from school. All I can think of is microfiber clothes? I head some type of alcohol works too?

2. deadjoe2002 macrumors member

I use cleaning alcohol on my uMBP, on my old plastic macbook I used to use toothpaste because of its slight grittyness that helped lift a lot of the dirt off

3. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

gfiz posted this a back in January in a reply to I spilled Coke on my trackpad. I just remembered how much I laughed when I read the post. Sorry if this doesn't provide a solution to your problem.

4. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I thought that was awesome, it was believable at some points until he mentioned salt in the water!!

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you really want to clean a laptop, you'll need to completely disassemble it and clean the parts. Not an easy task in some cases.

6. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

What I have done in the past is have a damp, barely any water cloth and wipe down the dirty parts, be careful around any type of place where water could accidentally get into you computer.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I use a microfiber cloth and water ( just enough so the microfiber cloth is damp but not dripping). After that I take a dry microfiber cloth and baby my MBP. I clean the screen, the keys and the body that way. Works great and the water is free and microfiber cloths are inexpensive and last for years.

8. Waldszenen macrumors member

Do you guys know if it's safe to use Mediwipes on a MBP? If you don't know what they are, they're like baby wipes but with ethanol and chlorhexidine and are used in doctor's surgeries to sanitise hard surfaces.

9. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I would just use windex and a towel.. don't get it near any openings or around the keys though

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've been using iKlear because it's ammonia, alcohol and SLS free. I can't imagine spending +2k on a machine and not splurging on a ten dollar bottle of fluid (one bottle has lasted me 3 years w/ about half left).

I suppose brillo pads, paper towels and rubbing alcohol will work for the budget minded consumer ;)

12. Papillo macrumors member

Thats what i use too. Isnt this what apple recommends? soft damp cloth?

13. Baffles macrumors regular

Not only that, but they even give you the cloth.

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Windex is a little too aggressive for computer screens. Works fine for the other surfaces. Ideally, you'd spray the Windex on the towel first...