Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've lived in Japan for a year and bought an iPhone 4S. I love the iPhone and my budget tells me that I should keep it for another two years or so. Unfortunately, it has a Softbank simlock and Softbank does not offer unlocks even if you own the device. I have been trying to find a way to unlock my phone, but I have not been able to find something that is both, cheap and legitimate. Seemingly legitimate unlocks cost around $150/€150, and it is hard to weed out legitimate from non-legitimate offers.

I've also been thinking about jail breaking my iPhone, but I have already updated to 6.1.3 and my attempt to downgrade to 6.1.2 was not successful (»This device isn't eligible for the requested build.«).

Do you guys have any recommendations?

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
You cannot downgrade to an iOS version that Apple is not signing anymore. So sorry, you are out of luck there. Wait for a new jailbreak to come out when ios7 is released.

Softbank has been notorious for not unlocking, there have been many others before you asking for unlock, but I have not seen anything that can definitely unlock them, even the $150 dollar ones you quoted might be scams.

My advice to you, if you like the 4s, would be to sell it on whatever japan's craigslist equivalent is. Then buy an unlocked one once you are back Stateside. If you are already Stateside, then the only way to unlock it would be a sim imposer such as Gevey, not a very elegant solution but it would allow you to keep using your 4S.

Sorry, but my best advice is to unload it anyway you can and spend some extra money to pick up an unlocked one.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
You cannot downgrade to an iOS version that Apple is not signing anymore. So sorry, you are out of luck there. Wait for a new jailbreak to come out when ios7 is released.
Damn, I painted myself in a corner here. Well, I was painted into a corner. ;)
Ugh, I hate carriers!

Thanks for your help, really seems I'm out of luck here.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Yeah, carrier locks counterproductive to technological innovation.

I think you should be able to unload it and pick up a used unlocked 4s. Just add some money into it, and if you are lucky, might even be able to pick it up <6.1.2 for jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.