cheap way, yet very efficient, to DIY cool macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dchen720, Aug 11, 2008.

1. dchen720 macrumors member

it works for me,
    when it's idle, it's about 43 degrees,
    when gaming, it's about 67,

1. use to old PC cover, and put it under your macbook pro, the steel will conduct heat some the bottom of your macbook pro, as it's a heat sink. that will cool your laptop for few degrees,

2. to further cool your macbook pro, buy one of those slanted door stoppers, and put it under your steel PC cover (since the PC cover is soft against the weight of the macbook pro and your hand) , and use a small box, and put it on the other side to support it, so now, it's tilted a few degrees,

3. (this is optional) if you worry about the macbook pro sliding down (which is pretty unlikely, unless tilt it by like 45 degrees, but I did it cuz i always over-do precaution), go buy a pack of those rubber dots (the sticky ones) and stick them the PC cover and/or your table.

this significantly cool down my macbook pro. as it's at 43 degrees when idling, compare to 53 before,, and haven't yet reach over 70 when gaming.

total spending: $6
    $3 slanted door stoppers
    $3 sticky rubber dots

My gf told me that I should've got those door stoppers and rubber dots from dollar store. so this could all be done with less than $3.

let me know if there's any questions,, and i can post pictures later, when i get home.

right now, i am even thinking about getting a copper plate and put it between the PC cover and macbook pro. the copper plate cost around $20. but since copper has twice the conductivity of aluminum. I am pretty sure it will greatly cool down the mbp. I am just thinking if i should spend extra the extra $20.

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Post pics please, I'm interested in seeing what this set up looks like.

3. dchen720 thread starter macrumors member

picture attached

pictures attached
    let me know if u've any questions.

Attached Files:

4. dchen720 thread starter macrumors member

more pictures

closer shot of the slanted door stopper.
    sorry for the bad picture quality

it's from my cell phone.

Attached Files:

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Glad to see you found a way to cool down your MBP. I remember you from your previous thread I was wondering how the temperature is affected if you just use the door stoppers without the PC cover.

6. dchen720 thread starter macrumors member

lol. yea. i don't want to pay around $60-70 including shipping and tax for a iLap, i would whether spend that money on extending my warranty with applecare.
    plus, this DIY project keeps me occupied when i m bored at work.

using door stopper without the pc cover, then i would llose some of its stability,, and the lower end of the mbp bottom might get scratched since its rubber feet's like 1mm tall.

7. XeroV8800 macrumors newbie

8. wesrk macrumors 6502a

this is a very good idea, I remember a year ago I used erasers to put under my then DELL laptop to get some air flow underneath it, lol.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*