Cheap Webhosting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ritsard, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ritsard macrumors regular

ritsard

Wanted to ask if anyone knew of a cheap webhosting?

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

It depends on your definition of cheap, as well as how much disk space or bandwidth you want. You can check us out (see sig) if you want, or if we dont meet what you're looking for, simply google for options.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Anyone that claims they have "unlimited" anything is not a good web host. It's an instant red flag.

I like:
    http://www.thiswebhost.com/

I don't use them because I use MediaTemple (which I think is over your budget), but This* has been good to me in the past. Also they're really nice.

5. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

A lot of people use the United States for their web hosting (You're probably from the US :eek:).
    I'm in UK and they gave me the good advice of registering my domain in England with www.123reg.co.uk because I own the domain; and they are not cowboys that steal your domain and sell it back to you (like GoDaddy I've heard). Then I need to search for hosting in the US; not just because it is cheaper, but far better specifications (faster bandwith and more storage).
    As you can tell I'm a complete novice and just trying to help :eek: and give you my two cents.:)

6. Antowns macrumors member

As Dal123 said, a lot of people in the UK use US based hosting companies as their solution as the exchange rate usually provides a nice price. If you're in the UK the only negative factor when using US hosting is the speed. I was using a VPS from Virpus.com a while back and had to switch to a European company because it was very unreliable. Now I'm really happy with my European VPS even though it costs a little bit more.

7. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Really, I thought the speed was better in the states :eek:. Please do tell us who you use and the bandwith (Specs etc).:)

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

If you're from Europe, using a US based service will not be as fast as using a European or UK based service. However you will only notice the difference if you deal with a lot of large files, and the average user will not notice much difference in speed. Therefore from a price standpoint it makes more sense for a person from the UK looking to setup a small website to go with a US based host rather than pay more for a UK-based host and not notice the difference in performance.

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Well, I've been with my webhost for a few years now. They have been excellent and have great prices for what they provide. I especially like that they allow additional domains hosted under one account without charging extra. You can run your business and personal websites off one account to save money!

Recently they made all of their accounts unlimited bandwidth and storage. So, according to you, they are not a good web host? I think you might be wrong. :D

Blue Host

10. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

:eek: I bought webmail when I registered my domain with www.123reg.co.uk and I can log-in and read my mail, also got it set-up with my apple mail. So does this mean I've paid for web hosting? I don't think so cos there was a seperate list for web hosting.
    Has anyone had any problems with sending mail from their domain, what I mean is: because the mail is sent from it's own domain e.g. my one email@preciseformwork.co.uk sent an email to my hotmail account logged into my hotmail account and checked my inbox. Nothing; but it was in spam :(. I'm guessing that because it has it's own domain, it chucked it in spam (Must be automatic hotmail settings0.:eek: This is worrying because most people have a hotmail account or yahoo, gmx etc.:eek::confused: