Cheap WQHD monitor compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Biggus Dickus, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Biggus Dickus macrumors newbie

There are a lot of cheap Korean 27" WQHD monitors for sale on ebay. I've read several reviews that say they are pretty good. One of the cost saving measures they use is by having less connections. Basically you can only connect with dvi-d. I'm led to believe that a thunderbolt to dvi-d adapter will solve the problem, but one of the sites I saw said you should not use them. Any reason why that may be? Also does anybody have one of these monitors?

Thanks

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

you need dual DVI-D, not just DVI-D. I use one with my MBP using the Apple thunderbolt to Dual DVI. it works fine. (There are random times where waking up from sleep the monitor has salt and pepper noise, but turning it off and on fixes that).

I'm using the QNIX one. Unfortunate that with upgrading to mavericks I can't overclock it anymore.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'd really recommend getting one with displayport. There are dozens of threads on Macrumors about the cheap Korean displays with only DVI not working with the Displayport to Dual DVI adapter. Besides, the adapter costs $60+. For that price you might as well step up to a model with Displayport already in it (cost difference is less than $100 and when you factor in the adapter it makes the cost difference almost nothing and you get native support).

I also recommend checking out woot.com. Over the last couple of weeks they have had HP ZR2740's refurb for only $350 that has native displayport built in. In fact they had it yesterday for this price and I bought two!