Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I was wondering if there is any website (checked Apple.com, Newegg, Macmall, Tiger) that sells 3 gigs of Ram for the MBP?

I am not sure how it is configured, but I assume its 2 1.5 gig chips.

Is this overkill right now for most applications? Does the Core 2 Duo carry enough weight in video editing programs to make this a waste of $600?

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
I was wondering if there is any website (checked Apple.com, Newegg, Macmall, Tiger) that sells 3 gigs of Ram for the MBP?

I am not sure how it is configured, but I assume its 2 1.5 gig chips.

Is this overkill right now for most applications? Does the Core 2 Duo carry enough weight in video editing programs to make this a waste of $600?

nope, its 1x 1gb and 1x 2gb (its the last one that is the killer).
depends what you are doing - chances are if you don't know, you probably don't need 3. More infor would be better (how are you going to use it? what size files? etc)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Has anyone tried to see if 2 gb's per slot will be recognized in the MBP (3.2 gbs)

I figured another .2gb's plus the dual channel what ever would improve my FCP stuff

i know they tried it with the old Macbook Pros, and it could only support/recognize one 2gb.. i dont know about the new C2Ds. i don't know why Apple wouldn't advertise it if it COULD support 4gbs, though.. i mean, right? they'd want to make more money if the lappy's could.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I am taking a trip to Africa and will be doing pretty serious RAW photo editing, along with 1080I video editing using Final Cut and Apeture.

Also, i usually have many apps open at once,

Word, Safari, Ichat, Itunes, while possibly burning disks/ importing video, ect...

In the long run, is three gigs worth it?

I have a PC running 2 gigs (DDR2 800mhz) and it is a huge difference over 1, but I have never had a suggestion to go higher than that.

Also, my trip will be next summer, so I believe by then the Santa Rosa chips will be in the MBPs which will have 800mhz Ram, hybrid hardrives, and also slightly faster C2D processors.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
At $500 for 200mb you should buy a Mac Pro :)

I cant even fit that... My printer has MBP has take all my desk space, and floor space is non exsistent in my dorm... but yeah i hear you... I don't plan on going out and buying 4 gb's of ram tomorrow but i figured in about 6 months perhaps it'd start to get down little more and if/when it did i'd hit that if the MBP would recognize the .2gb's and also make use of the dual channel...

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Why not wait till the new SR MBPs come out?

I hear DDR3 modules are cheaper to manufacture. Besides you mentioned a dorm room, which means you aren't using FCP on a professional basis right?

Kind overkill to spend so much money on so little benefit

mfInc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2006
Toronto / Hamilton, ON (CAN)
I am also looking for the best upgrade from my current 1 gig to a 2 gig (I am guessing the current 1 gig is 2 x 512??). I am looking for the best price -- I am in Canada!

Sorry if I am hijacking your thread.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Why not wait till the new SR MBPs come out?

I hear DDR3 modules are cheaper to manufacture. Besides you mentioned a dorm room, which means you aren't using FCP on a professional basis right?

Kind overkill to spend so much money on so little benefit

I'm using it fairly constantly, probably not like a professional, but if I was proffesional I would drop FCP in a heart beat... I know independent users use it but I absolutely hate FCP... I am always having problems with it.

I'm editing about 20 minutes of footage this semester, and at least an hour next semester. a few minutes a week this semseter for FCP class. Next semester i'll be doing a 30 minute short out of school, plus all my shorts doing for school... I think the faster the better...

Oh and I can't do Santa Rosa because one I've been waiting for a Mac since last year December, but I heard about Intel switch so I waited for 17" MBP then heard about C2D and have waited for that. So this will be my baby for along time...

It'd be nice to have santa rosa for the Addressable 4 gb's but what can you do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.