Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HBO Max parent company AT&T today unveiled plans to introduce a more affordable version of HBO Max that will include ads to drive the cost down.

hbomax1.jpeg

A full ad-free HBO Max subscription is priced at $14.99 per month, and it's not yet clear what the price of the ad-supported version will be.

In addition to including ads, the ad-supported version of HBO Max will not include Warner Bros. theatrical releases. Earlier this year, AT&T said that all Warner Bros. movies in 2021 would debut on HBO Max and theaters at the same time.

HBO Max subscribers will get access to titles like "The Matrix 4," "Dune," "In the Heights," "The Suicide Squad," and more on the same day that those films premiere in theaters.

All other HBO Max content, including HBO Max Originals, will be included in the ad-supported tier. HBO Max Original TV shows will not have ads, but ads will be included for other kinds of content.

AT&T expects to have between 120 and 150 million HBO Max and HBO subscribers by the end of 2025. By the end of 2021, AT&T expects to have between 67 and 70 million subscribers worldwide, up from 61 million at the end of 2020.

AT&T plans to make the ad-supported version of HBO Max available sometime in June.

Article Link: Cheaper, Ad-Supported HBO Max Subscription Launching in June

aesc80

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
Never a fan of ad supported. Why would you go and pay for a service and just get commercials on it, just because?

Then again - has anyone here ran something like Pi-hole (read: local DNS filtering out ads) and see if that works against streaming service ads?

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I'm gonna say it... Ad supported versions should always be free.
While that would be ideal, Hulu, Paramount+, and Peacock all have ad-supported tier, none of them free. I would say 50% off is about right. So $7.49 for HBO Max, most likely rounded up to $7.99.

Alternative is Peacock's 3-tier approach: free ad-supported basic tier with very limited contents. At least HBO Max is siding with Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+, Disney+, and Hulu in offering 4K in all pricing tiers, unlike the lone "you can't share account" Netflix.

Comment

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
I disagree. You also pay for your TV subscription and yet you still see ads.
False. I do not pay for a TV subscription, because I don't like paying for things I don't use. I only subscribe to disney+, Hulu with ads (because I got it free with my LG TV), and Prime. I also don't like the idea of each platform commanding a premium for their content. It's physically impossible to watch all the new content across all platforms, and I don't think it's realistic to believe that someone would watch only the content from one platform. We're past the point of saving money by "cutting the cable." Once everyone started producing their own content, the streaming industry ran off the rails

Comment

frumpywumpy

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Then again - has anyone here ran something like Pi-hole (read: local DNS filtering out ads) and see if that works against streaming service ads?
I'm using NextDNS (with adblockers enabled) through my router and do not get ads using the Hulu app on my Nvidia Shield. Here's hoping the same trick works for HBOMax.

Reactions: Azzin
Comment

aesc80

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
I'm using NextDNS (with adblockers enabled) through my router and do not get ads using the Hulu app on my Nvidia Shield. Here's hoping the same trick works for HBOMax.
Friggin yes!!! Thanks for the info! The only app I'm using that's ad supported is Peacock, and find theirs so damn annoying. I'll have to look into this sooner than later.

Reactions: Theyayarealivin
Comment

McKodiak

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
They should be required to detail the frequency and length of ads and stick to it.

Comment

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I would like to know if you have AT&T Fiber if you still get the free ad-free version. I'm actually surprised they haven't increased the fees for AT&T Fiber, but I'm fine with the 60.00 a month price point.

Comment

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009
Are Max Originals just a rebranded name for HBO originals like The Wire, Curb, etc.? Or are they exclusive to the streaming platform and not on the HBO cable channel/on-demand section? Just curious. I have HBO Max through my cable subscription, but I can't keep up with the constant rebranding and different tiers of all the different platforms.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.