Cheaper option for those with partial upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JLEW700, Jul 6, 2010.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

So apple charges $499 for the 32gig if you are only eligible for a partial upgrade. How about since the old ETF fee is $150 pro-rated at $4 per month you have service, just canceling your old service and signing up for a new contract. Either way your signing up for a new contract, but at least with canceling the old contract you only end up paying $450 at the most and for someone like me who has been on AT&T for about a year its $400. Of course when doing this you ask to save your old number and then just do the 2g unlimited data work around http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=960093. What do you guys think?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Make sure they don't require a 90 day wait between cancelling old service and signing up again to get the full discount.

Let the board know how it works. My guess is AT&T has that loophole closed somehow already.

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Just port your number to a prepay service then back to AT&T.

Unfortunately they closed that loophole about 10 years ago. You can't be a new customer for a number months (6?) once you have an account in your name with your SSN. You can open an account under a wife's, mommy or daddy's name if they don't already have one.

4. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

That's too much effort. One could waste a lot of time, or bite the bullet & spend the extra $50.00 dollars. I would choose the latter.