Cheaper to buy blackbook, or to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Slovig, May 21, 2008.

1. Slovig macrumors member

I'm stuck. Hoping some of you could help. I want a MacBook, preferably black, because the white ones get dirty, quick. 2.1GHz is fine, 1GB Memory is fine(I know its not that expensive to upgrade anyway), but I would like a SuperDrive. Do you think it's just easier to buy the 2.4GHz BlackBook, or get the base model WhiteBook, get a Black Skin, and just upgrade the combo drive to the super drive? Is it easy to upgrade to the SuperDrive? Do you think I could sell the ComboDrive back to Apple, or on eBay? Would the price I get for the ComboDrive, help pay some of the SuperDrive, or is it insanely expensive? And also, what are some sites for buying MacBook parts for cheap?

Thanks In Advance!!

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just buy the blackbook. If you start hot swapping parts it messes up your warranty and you need warranty when dealing with laptops.

Also its just too much hassle

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Go to the "DarkSide" and you'll never look back. Enjoy the 4GB, as you said it's not that much more, I mean all it is a "tank of gas!" LOL :p

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

5. SamoanDude macrumors regular

The upgrade was painful. I tried it once, ended up tearing a wire and had to send it out to get fixed.

Don't even consider it!

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you don't know where to buy parts, you probably are not qualified to upgrade the parts. Chances are it'll take you a long time, and you risk damaging a brand new computer and voiding warranty.

That said, some places are: OWC, iFixit

You are really not saving much (if any) with a new machine.

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Just get a refurb Blackbook. You will have everything you want, will none of the hassle.

9. Radskull macrumors newbie

For the amount of hassle and money that you will spend trying to upgrade it's probably in your best interest to just get the blackbook, unless you get the 2.4 whitebook and upgrade upon purchase cause i can only assume that apple would install all the components for you.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

This is exactly what I did.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

12. Slovig thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. I have a feeling I'll be purchasing one very soon.

13. Slovig thread starter macrumors member

What do you guys think of the casing for the MacBook? Does it get dirty easily? Should I buy a gel sink/cover for it?