Cheaper version of the Cal Digit HD Element and how to preserve memories?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by raptorsoft2000, Jun 7, 2011.

1. raptorsoft2000 macrumors newbie

I need to convert 100's of 8mm and MiniDV tapes onto a raid array and then organize them by date before burning them to DVD's. What is the best method to do all this? I have never used Final Cut Express or Pro, but I'm sure I can learn. Also do I need something like the Matrox MXO2 Mini or just use the firewire ports on my cameras? And lastly some website I took a look at when I googled converting 8mm to DVD seemed to stress a LOT of bad things like loss in video quality, etc... What is the best way to do this on probably a low to medium budget and still have good results with quality and such? I don't want the videos to look like crap, but I can't afford a huge amount either for equipment. Thanks!

2. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

MiniDV and digital 8 can both be captured natively through firewire if you've got cameras with FireWire connection. Quicktime 7, final cut(all versions), imovie will all work to capture. You'll be looking at 12gb per hour of footage. Alternatively you could play the tapes on your camera and feed out from RCA cable to a capture product like elgato eyetv, which can capture in h264 Which can save you space compared to DV with similar quality. as for quality loss it would be negligible to non-existent, Compared to HD cameras of today miniDV and 8mm aren't exactly quality kings.