Cheapest 4GB RAM for Unibody MBP? (UK)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kardashian, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I want to upgrade my RAM from the stock 2GB to 4GB.

Crucial UK charge over £50 for the 4GB kit, whereas NewEgg.com charge the same in USD $ for the same kit.. quite a difference in price.

Where could I get RAM in the UK for around the same price?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Stick with the Crucial, its not the cheapest, but its certainly the best quality, and has very fast delivery in the UK, you might be tempted to buy cheaper RAM but when it doesnt work, which happens a lot, don't come back to us complaining.

At least with Cruical using their Scan My System tool on the front page your also sure that your buying the type you need.

3. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they spend upwards of $2000 on a MBP and then look to save $20 on RAM.

4. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

$?

£ ;)

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I suspect you got the point anyway.

6. andothfc macrumors regular

Ok, let me tell you my experience and then you can decide what to do.

I have a new MacBook Pro - I found a source on ebay that provides genuine Samsung RAM for these Macs and at the time it was £55 while Crucial were charging nearly £100.

I purchased the ebay RAM and after a day or so of use I started to get kernel panics and system freezes within an hour of turning on my Mac.

Having read about certain MBPs suffering this problem even with official Apple RAM I sent my computer off to be checked under AppleCare. They took ten days to inform me that there was no issue with the system. I was suspicious of their findings given that each RAM stick on its own caused me no problem.

Anyway, I decided to take the plunge and ordered another set of 4gb from Crucial on a Monday. They delivered the very next day (under the free delivery option!) and I have had that RAM in my system for two weeks now and not suffered a single freeze.

So, I fully understand the desire to save £20 or so but you'd be wisest to learn from other people's mistakes and go for Crucial - the customer service is excellent and, if they're now only charging £50, the price is very competitive as it is.

7. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thank you so much.

I'll be ordering tomorrow :)

8. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

You can get 7% cashback if you go to crucial via quidco, makes it a little bit cheaper.