Cheapest and Best Optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReidStylez, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ReidStylez macrumors member

I know cheap and best don't go together but I figured I'd ask what people have and how much it was, where you got it and how you like it.

I know some don't come with hard drive hold down screws :(

2. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Search for the ebay seller named 'Nimitz'

Thats the only one you'll want to buy. None of them are significantly superior or anything, but the one Nimitz sells is by far the best deal. Its about $25.

3. ReidStylez thread starter macrumors member

Does it allow for the HD to mount to the bay?

Also, am I better off moving my SSD to that bay and a mechanical HD to the stock location>?

----------

That guy doesn't seem to be selling them anymore.

4. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

You can have any standard 9.5mm HDD or SSD in the optical bay via a optibay caddy. Any larger and it wont fit in the optical bay (its a tight fit). The primary bay where the stock HD is can actually accept hard drives up to 12.5mm, like the 5,200rpm Western Digital 1TB (though you won't want that since WD makes a 5,400rpm drive at 9.5mm, which I have).

You'll definitely want to keep an HDD in the stock location because its better protected and has some kind of anti-shock mechanism. I have my SSD drive in the optibay (Intel 320 120gb) and Western Digital 1TB in the primary bay.

Most people seem to want speed and space when going this route, I'd recommend the drive I'm using;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927&Tpk=wd10jpvt

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I'd recommend the 1TB Samsung drive, since it has the same specs as the WD but is $40 cheaper ($100 vs $140).

6. xxx-xxxxx macrumors newbie

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the actual optibay and I'm happy with that. Is there a difference in quality with other makers?

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No there is no difference it is simple a passive adapter. I think you can buy such an adapter 2 or 3 bucks and production cost is probably a couple cents.
    The rest is just a mounting bracket.
    The space in there is so tight that just about anything would work. There is no need for 5 screws or what ever to sit perfectly in place. With a bit of improvising you won't need any screw at all. Just a bit of stuff to fill any gap so it is crammed in there tight enough so it cannot move.
    If you pay up you do it only for those screw holes as some ebay optibays aren't perfect in that regard but it really is a waste of money, unless you run around without the bottom cover all the time ;).
    I would just get one of the cheapest ones you can find on ebay from a seller with good ratings.

That stuff costs regardless of design pretty much nothing to produce. If you pay to much you simply do pay to much.

10. blackranger3d macrumors newbie

+1

I have one from ebay and one from Optibay. THEY ARE 99.99% the same.

Opti bay = $99
    Ebay = $25

I bough the optibay one hoping for an increase in quality. While it was a bit better than the ebay one. It wasn't good enough to make me take the ebay on out. Anyway buy from ebay.

11. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

12. Goten macrumors newbie

I bought something similar to this, the fenvi for about 13. It is missing two mounting spots at the top of the caddy, but like a poster said a couple posts ago, just fill in some gaps where the caddy sits and it will stay secure and not wobble (i just used a folded up piece of paper).

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Did the same works great. Mine was some 12 € I think.