cheapest backup charger for 15 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gianthobbit, Nov 26, 2012.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Would like to keep extra charger at the office. What's the cheapest route to do this? Should I buy an older generation used charger and use adapter? Or should I just suck it up and pay full price on Apple.com for the retina Mac Book Pro charger?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There are no third parties and MS2 is brand new so ur stuck buying retail.

3. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Which costs u $9.99+ tax and the cheapest used MS1 adapter u can find, I give u the benefit of the doubt is 50% off retail, so you end up paying at least 65% off retail, after time spent. If it's worth it to you, go4rit. Am Mr. El-Cheapo, but still willing to pay 35% for a minimalist, minimal-aspect, no adapter plug. YMMV.

5. dehory macrumors regular

Given the mixed reviews received by MagSafe power adapters from unofficial suppliers (and if you're buying used, you can't be sure of what you're getting) plus the fact that you'd need to buy an additional $10 adapter anyway, I'd stick with the more expensive option from Apple. You know it'll work, and it won't pose any risk to your expensive new computer.

6. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

This may be a dumb question but what is the point of the Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adapter since any Magsafe will work on any MBP. My original Magsafe charger from my 2006 MBP works fine on my 2011 MBP and vice versa.:confused:

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Magsafe 2 is a thinner form factor and is used by the new MBA and rMBPs. You need an adaptor to use magsafe 1 chargers or else they wont fit.

8. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Ok so both mine are Magsafe 1 just with different style plugs. Got it.:eek: