Cheapest/Best External Bluray Drive for Ripping?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by megaman90, Apr 11, 2015.

1. megaman90 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a good/cheap external Bluray drive for ripping my Blurays that compatible with my Macbook Pro, Was looking at some online but don't know what to get. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. cynics macrumors G3

I've been using a Samsung SE-506CB RSBD.

I've ripped about 100 DVD's and 50 BluRays with it since I bought it.

Before its latest firmware update I would, on rare occasions have problems with it not seeing the disc. I found unplugging it from the USB and plugging it back in would temporarily fix the problem. Since the latest firmware (TS02) I haven't had to do that. However I don't know if thats because I've been lucky or its been fixed. It wasn't a "reported problem" so it may have just been my hardware (computer or burner).

Even with that said I would still recommend it.

I have NOT tried to burn any CD's, DVD's, or Blu Rays with it. So I can't comment on that aspect. But for purely ripping disc its been fine.

The drive comes with Windows software so you'll need your own software but set up is just plug and play. MakeMKV, Handbrake, OS X Dvd software and others work fine.

Hope this helps.

3. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Handbrake works with bluray?

4. cynics macrumors G3

No I meant just as far as software working with it. Still need Makemkv or similar to rip a blu ray.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I just bought the cheapest I could find on Amazon 4 years ago, and it has worked fine for ripping 100+ Blu-Rays with MakeMKV. OSX should support them all natively.

6. megaman90, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

megaman90 thread starter macrumors newbie

A follow up to this post, I ended up purchasing this drive http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-BE14NU40 on ebay for about half the retail price open box. It works excellent and very fast with my retina macbook pro 15 mid 2014. About 20-25mins for most of the Blu-Rays I have ripped so far. I'd say I would definitely recommend this one to anyone that looking for not the most portable (has to be plugged into an outlet) but speed wise product.