Cheapest Carrier/ Plans with little to no data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JesseW6889, May 5, 2011.

1. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Basically I want an iPhone 4, but am mostly around WiFi, I'd be ok with some data, but I really don't need it. I'm looking to buy the phone upfront, and maybe $20-$40 for service afterwards, but I'm open to compromise to keep it cheaper.

As of now, I'm using an iPod touch with textfree but I need more stability.

I would like unlimited texting (sms not needed) and maybe 500-1000 minutes a month... any suggestions?

Also, I have no idea how to do a carrier unlock (or when its needed, even) but I do know how to jailbreak.

ANY advice would be appreciated!

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

You can get a gophone smartphone account now with an iphone, but you need to bring your own phone. I posted my experience with it in the iphone main forum.

Prepaid either $2/day or $0.10/minute and he small data package is cheap but escapes me at the moment. Im on the big one for $25/500mb.

3. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

I heard that T-mobile still has the $29.99/month plan at the store (not online), 500 whenever minutes + unlimited night, weekend and mobile to mobile.

4. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

You failed to mention whether you are from the US or Canada....If you're from Canada, I started a thread almost a year ago called "The Canadian iPhone thread" do a quick search and there is pages of people talking about and suggesting great plans and retention plans to choose from.

5. JesseW6889 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, America. Florida specifically if that matters.

Also, if its a carrier other than at&t, can you specify whether it will work out of the box, or if I'll need to jailbreak or unlock it.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah dude, iphones are locked to ATT or Verizon. U can get a factory unlocked but they are expensive. Gevey SIM is your best bet if you wanna unlock an iP4.

U can probably get a plan from T-mo for 500 min voice/200MB data for like 45 bucks. For texting u can use Google voice app.

7. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Now, just a question, if you are in Florida, and you are willing to get "some" data, why not just stay with AT&T, since most likely the the phone you get from the store will not be unlock able, and maybe even get the contract... so you can get the phone cheaper too... I don't know, but to me, it seems like the best option, but I might be missing something...

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have unrealistic expectations for the price and features you want.
    You'd probably have to go with a regional carrier for what you want, because national carriers aren't going to have plans you want.
    AT&T charges $40/month for 450 minutes of voice and $15/month for 200MB data. I believe someone upthread gave T-Mobile's prices.
    Of course, another option is pay as you go. That doesn't require unlocking if you stick with AT&T.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

TS you are looking at around $400 for a used I4 or $599-$699 for new or about the same after ETF and monthly plus you carrier plan. this is why most in your situation a dumb phone and a touch is the best route.