Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
We seem to be at a peak in regards to RAM pricing. I understand that Macbooks need a specific speed of memory.

I was able to find 1GB's cheap, but was hoping to find a good price on 2GBs or 4GBs.

1GB - $8ea http://starmicroinc.net/-p-1742.html , Kingston brand

Anyone find good RAM priced lower than average lately?

Thanks!

endlightend

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Hey WildCard,
I'm a bit of a newcomer as well, but with some of the research I've done recently I think I can give you a few tips.

For starters, what model Macbook are you looking to purchase RAM for?
This is important because older Macbooks use DDR1 and DDR2 RAM which, to my knowledge, is no longer produced. So the RAM prices being at a high this year really has more to do with DDR3 RAM which is in all current gen computers. DDR1 and DDR2 RAM, being no longer produced, makes the quantity on the market lower, but is mostly used to upgrading older tech, so prices seem to be pretty stable from my understanding.
How much RAM are you looking to purchase? 1GB is pretty cheap because very few computers that are being produced now come bundled with less than 4GB or RAM, and with 2 memory slots in a laptop, a 1GB stick doesn't get you very far. My go-to for deals is pretty much ebay as of late, where you can find working components at bargain prices. (free shipping and tax free also helps)

So some more details from your end would help in narrowing down the search- hope this helps.

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Ahh, I didn't know DDR2 was out of production. Well, that explains it.

I have some old Macbooks that I was going to upgrade RAM on, but the new pricing for even the 2GBs seemed off. Now I know why.

Thanks much!

Watto63

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
Agree with Enlightened

Hi me newbie too.

I've just upgraded my macbook Hard Drive and Ram. Mine was DDR2 667mhz. Bought 4 GB (2X2) on Ebay from Global Memory cost £58. Delivered quick and very easy to fit.

Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.