Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
I'm thinking of buying a dual-layer drive, but I'm surprised to find DL medium to be so expensive. Anyone knows where to get cheap DL medium?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
What prices are you seeing? Dual layer media is substantially more expensive than single-layer. Often, it's much cheaper to use two SL DVDs than one DL DVD.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
superwoman said:
I'm seeing $2/DL-disc versus $0.25/SL-disc. Is $2/DL-disc the best I can find?

give it time. I remember when each single layer disc was 2 bucks each :( I am more concerned if there will be any kind of compatibility problem with dvd players. I need to do more research.

Kimo

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
superwoman said:
I'm seeing $2/DL-disc versus $0.25/SL-disc. Is $2/DL-disc the best I can find?

The cheapest I'm finding here in the UK is £3/disc.

Rip off Britain at it's finest.

FireArse

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
FireArse said:
The cheapest I'm finding here in the UK is £3/disc.

Rip off Britain at it's finest.

FireArse

Sick of all the British complaining about Rip Off Britain.. Get over it :D
I moved from the UK to Ireland over 8 years ago after finishing uni, and believe me you have nothing to complain over.

Everything over here is imported from the UK, so not only do we have to pay the inflated UK price, we also have to pay the currency difference and vat difference and a little bonus ontop for the retailer :eek:

Thank god for online retailers.

Oh and Dual Layer DVD's are retailing here in the local computer shops for €9-15 $10-$18 :(

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
kbonnel said:
give it time. I remember when each single layer disc was 2 bucks each :( I am more concerned if there will be any kind of compatibility problem with dvd players. I need to do more research.

Kimo

IIRC Apple's DVD-R 5 pack was $15 (or was it $25) when they came out.

At the time that was what Apple would recommend for the SuperDrives.

Not to mention that was the only game in town for awhile....

Hey Supes, give it some time. If you need the DL now go ahead and get it and use SL disk for normal stuff and the DL disk only when needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.