Cheapest external Optical drive the boots ISO's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chupacabra31, Sep 1, 2011.

1. chupacabra31 macrumors member

In need of a cheap (inexpensive and works) Optical drive for my mid 2010 macbook pro 13". that can boot ISOs.

Unfortunately the internal optical that came with my mac in a usb external enclosure does not boot ISOs (plays dvds and reads cds fine, but no booting of ISOs).

Thanks in advance!

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I feel like iso format can only be bootable under a windows OS.

3. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else comment on this?

I think I know of at least one individual who used a bootable ISO from Intel to update his firmware via his samsung usb external optical drive and I think he does not have windows of any kind.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Did a quick google search and it does seem possible thought not that pretty booting from iso files.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

An iso is a disk image file. You're not supposed to boot from them directly. (Well you can in VMWare or Parallels, but that's different.) You are supposed to burn them to a CD or DVD, using a program like Disk Utility or Toast, then boot from them.

In other words, if you open your burned disc and see the iso file, you did it wrong. I've burned several iso files to CDs and booted from them using the built in Superdrive.

6. chupacabra31, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

The apple superdrive in an external enclosure?

Actually The firmware ISO from intel is made to work with macs, and it does work when the superdrive is in the mac, however when it is in an external enclosure usb bus powered, it does not work.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

What Darth.Titan said is correct. The ISO format is more like a zip file or a dmg file than anything else. Using Disk Utility (OS X) or ImgBurn (Win), you can burn an exact copy of the source media to a physical disc. And, as Darth.Titan pointed out, if you browse the drive and see only one file (the .iso) you are doing it wrong.

Here is an illustrated guide to burning an ISO to DVD using Disk Utility.

8. chupacabra31, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Your comment does not make sense. I did not have an issue with how to burn and ISO disk, I can burn them just fine. The ISOs boot just fine as long as I have the optical drive inside my mac not in an enclosure connected via the USB

-peace

9. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Turns out you can boot from the apple optical drive from an external usb enclosure. I am not sure what was the deal before, but it works fine now and I was able to see the CD at boot up and update my SSDs firmware.:eek:

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sorry, I wasn't clear on what your problem was.