Cheapest G4 Mac Mini Power brick vendor?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cosmichobo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

I'm after a power brick for a G4 Mac Mini... and I'm located in Australia.

Thought I was on a winner with an Aussie vendor @ AU$47 inc postage, but then realised it was a 110W adapter, not the 85W I need for the G4 Mini.

There are several on eBay from US vendors for a similar price (inc postage), though most "brick and mortar" websites tend to want a lot more... especially so with postage to Australia.

Any suggestions on most cost effective answer to this problem?

Thanks

cosmic

2. Zotaccian, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Unless there are voltage or connector difference the 110W should work fine, since the machine will still draw as much as before and if the previous charger was 85W the 110W one will easily offer enough. The wattage of a charger is not how much it outputs to the machine all the time, it is instead the maximum it is able to output if needed.

EDIT: Yup, apparently 110W charger fits:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/852473?start=0&tstart=0

3. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Yes, it's true.

This is a bit OT, but my iBook model ships with a 45W AC adapter. I burned through two of these in a year before upgrading to a 65W adapter. It seems to be holding up better. I think I recall Apple putting out word that 65W would somehow be a better choice at some point.

4. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Yeah, there seems to be 2 trains of thought regarding the compatibility of the 85 vs 110... Certainly the 85W wont work for Intel Mini's, but people have had success with the 110W on the G4's...

I was hesitant to use the 110W simply due to the old "do as Apple says" mentality... but luckily someone has just sold me an original one for $25 anyway, so all good.

Thanks for the replies.