Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Hey all,

I'm after a cheap graphics card for my 09 Mac Pro. Its basically just going to be used on my TV to stick either tvcatchup.com on or my freeview receiver (Miglia TVMini2). I've currently got a Geforce GT 120 which came with the pro, which is already used on my dual screen setup.

I'm not too fussed about the quality, as long as it can still do 1900x1080 (or similar).

From Apple's site, the cheapest graphics card is the Geforce GT 120. However I've heard that older gen MP graphics cards will work on the 09 model, and even unofficial cards if flashed.

So, really I'm after something that I guess would be classed as a fairly budget card. Capable of basic stuff (its not going to be used for gaming/graphically intense stuff).

I'm happy to flash an unofficial card, as long as its fairly simple to do (ie doesn't require special hardware/tools/added expense) and is reliable.

Any suggestions for someone trying to save a bit of cash? :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would just get a GT 120 from eBay, they go for around 100 bucks. It's plug&play and you don't have to worry about flashing and possible issues caused by that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.