Cheapest HD (1080i) Camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by alocc247, Dec 15, 2007.

1. alocc247 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for an HD (1080i) camera and needed to know the approximate price range and also what features I would be getting in the more expensive cameras. Would a professional camera ($10,000+) shooting in 1080i have better quality than a basic consumer one, or just different features? Any help would be great, thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's a rather broad question. The Canon HV20 can be had for less than $1000 and is the most popular consumer HD camera out right now.

A more expensive camera will produce a better image. It will have a better lens, better imaging sensors, better internal image process, etc.,.

Lethal

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

You should check out some video-specific forums like DVXuser.com and research more about video production there. Along with having better glass, sensors, and bodies, professional cameras will give you more control of how you're capturing your image.

4. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, that depends on the OP's budget. I wouldn't call the HVX a "mid-point" unless your price range is nearly 20k.

Lethal

6. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

lol i agree. I'm hoping when the OP looks at the price he finds I wasn't serious :)

7. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

I'm really please with my Canon HV20. B&H has it right now for $749, plus you get a training dvd and a $75 gift card. Not bad!

8. alex1 macrumors newbie

I picked up a JVC HD110. Huge issues with capturing with Mac, but I now have a work around, it is a Focus Enhancements hard drive.. situation solved. I personally question the 1080i format anyway. 720p at 24fps is good. 1080p at 24fps is better. There are some new Sony's coming through soon that are going to be 24p as well that might be in the $5,000 range. The Panasonic HVX200 is great, but it's still pricy with the P2 cards. Have you thought about a Panasonic DVX100B and shoot 24p widescreen? Another option is the Canon XHA1 is highly thought of. It has a 24f (from 60i source that is a good mimic of true 24p)

I like the 24p since DVD's, HD-DVD's and BlueRay are all 60i but recognize a 23.97 pull down and look far better to my eyes from a 24p source than a 60i source. But it all depends upon your subject matter and of course what DVD or HD-DVD/BlueRay encoder you are using. Some shows like Ghost Hunters and American Choppers shoot Panasonic DVCPRO-HD at 720p at 30fps so it makes a nice 60i for Discovery Channel HD. But I doubt it makes the best SD-DVD and HD-DVD/BlueRay's for later sale. But they have access to post production houses with $10,000 DVD encoder programs.

regardless, dvxuser.com and dvinfo.net are good places for info and opinions, and hopefully some usefull facts.