cheapest hd video camera availble?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mrdinh, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mrdinh macrumors regular

what brand?...or should i wait for bluray to be cheaper?

thanks

2. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

What will you be doing with it?

3. LaughaC macrumors newbie

My Aiptek is perfect for under $100. Now I just need a free utility progrem that allows my Macbook to edit the files.

4. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

Does it not work with imovie hd or imovie 08'? or FCE/FCP?

5. mrdinh thread starter macrumors regular

i would be using it for home video ie. my kids playing around, family events etc...nothing fancy...i have a cheap minidv camcorder now and want better picture rez.

6. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

be careful with the Aiptek brand of cams...some people love em and some find them awful. I had the Aiptek GO HD and ended up selling it. The artifacting was terrible. Buy it at walmart, bring it home put it thru a quick test. If you like it keep it... if not return it and move on to something else. I ended up settling for a flip video ultra, not high def but good standard def video and the cam has excellent low light capabilities.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't know about rock bottom cheapest, but the Canon HV20 gets excellent reviews and can be found relatively cheaply. I would suggest not bothering with the bottom of the barrel devices.

8. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

i agree with nojustjay. The HV20 would be THE cam I would buy if I were in your shoes. Go to Vimeo.com and watch some hi-def samples of what that cam can do. Theres tons of video's on there of people just filming their kids or dogs or whatever...the same kind of stuff you'll be doing. The camera produces some of the nicest video Ive ever seen in a consumer quality cam.

9. Lebowski macrumors 6502

you would be better off investing in a good mic, and some lights for your current miniDV setup than getting the absolute cheapest HD cam out there.

just because its HD doesnt mean it will look better than miniDV. its all in the shooter, the lighting, the composition.... I can make a hi8 shot look better than many people could do with HD.

10. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

He wants to video his kids, etc.

11. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

12. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

Yeah, don't waste time el-cheapo stuff. A decent std-def camera can produce better images than a cheap & nasty hi-def one. I agree with the comment about Hi8.

BTW I own a Canon HV20. I really like it. Not dirt cheap; and it feels a bit flimsy. But it's made in Japan and produces great results. The unique selling point? Genuine progressive capture!! Oh, and good low-light performance.