Cheapest in-ear iphone headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by littvay, Nov 15, 2009.

1. littvay macrumors member

Dear Everyone

A year ago I got my iphone. I bought an Apple in-ear for it. Since then Apple replaced this headphone three times. Twice one of the speakers died, once the connector had a problem. At the last replacement I gave up on them and bought a relatively expensive third party solution by Klipsch. A month later it is cutting out, probably a problem at the connector. (Not even sire where I put the receipt to get it fixed, replaced, etc.)

I am seriously suspecting that I am on the extreme tail of the distribution when it comes to wear and tear of these products (so I am looking for the problem in me). I carry the iphone in my jeans front pocket so it is in a tight space with quite a bit of pressure on the headset. I just hate belt clips and cases so that is not a solution for me. Now I need a new set of headphone but this time I am not dropping big cash. I'd rather buy a new one every three months as long as it is cheap.

I use the iphone to listen to spoken word the majority of the time. So audio quality is not a priority. But I do like how these headphones block outside noise. On the subway I have to crank the default headphones up all the way to understand what my podcasts are saying and the volume hurts my ears. With these in ears that double as earplugs I can listen at a comfortable volume.

Does anyone know of a good, cheap solution? I do not need to feel like I am listening to a concert in concert hall. I just want to listen to my radio podcasts. (Of course, I still need the button and mic to have all the phone functions.)

Thanks

2. lollicup macrumors regular

well at least you are admitting that you are the root of the problem and not blaming it on the products

I find that a lot of higher end headphones are just not built to take a beating, or weather the elements. It sounds like you need to learn how to keep your headphones in a case ( to avoid dirt getting into the headphones) and learn how to pull the headphone cords at the adapter ( I see tons of people pulling on the cord... which is wrong ) but that's in the past

Since you were honest I'll give you the advice I gave my friend

Avoid any higher end headphones ( such as The etymotics, shure, klisph, etc)

For you I would recommend the skullcandy ink'd ( do not buy the smoked). They sound great for the price and are built to last

If you want some more industrial ones ( that look like tehy can take a beating) get teh J2 earbuds... The sounds quality is pretty crappy ( too much low not enough high) but they are built pretty well

Those are the only two inner ear headphones i would recommend ( everything else sounds like crap or is too expensive for what you get)

Aim for headphones that cost for under $25 but avoid anything under $10

3. littvay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for the advice. Well, at some point you have to start wondering after killing two high end headphones (and killing the first one 3 times), there is a trend there.

But I should also mention, I am absolutely religious about keeping my headphone in a case. In fact when I bought the Apple In Ear my request in the store was to get me a set of headphones that come with a good case. They wanted to sell me the a pair of Klipsch but I said the pouch is not good enough and it was the case that brought me to the Apple branded ones.

I also do not purposely pull on the chord. It happens that the chord gets accidently puled on pulling the cable out, but I do not do that purposely ever. (Maybe with the exception of trying to pull my phone out of the pocket, I might revert to pulling on the chord to do that, but I am not sure. I will definitely observe.)

If I have options, I definitely prefer to have highs in the headphones. Highs are important for natural spoken word (more important then lows) and if I listen to music 90% of the time it is acoustic music where the highs are important (though there the quality of the lows are also crucial.)

I'll look into the first pair you mentioned. Thanks for the hint.

4. littvay thread starter macrumors member

The one thing I can't find info about is if these Skullcandy INK'D headphones have a mic and the button? I, unfortunately, need those pretty bad otherwise it will lead to even more wear and tear by pulling the phone out of the pocket and putting it back in there, etc. (Even if I make sure not to pull on the chord).

5. lollicup macrumors regular

oh didn't see you needed a mic

yeah that's not gonna be cheap :/

6. vesnyder macrumors newbie

I found two different ones while surfing Amazon.com and one that included the mic and iPod control buttons - both less than $5. Certainly satisfies the "cheap" criteria!

7. littvay thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I found a half dozen options on ebay for the $5-15 range.

Surprisingly I have not found anything that has been reviewed or compared to anything. Haven't found anything in the $30-40 range (sort of in line with the don't go under $25).

I also haven't found anyone who could speak about these from personal experience :)

<sigh>

8. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

v-moda vibe ii
    cloth cable is like indestructible and looks badass w/ mic & remote
    but costs $70ish

9. lollicup macrumors regular

he said cheap that's pretty expensive

I would just buy regular headphones.. its more cost effective ( I use regular headphones when I answer a call, and use the iPhone microphone to talk)

10. hushmartin macrumors 6502

THIS: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E9HB3O/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Is what you want. It's perfect, has everything you need, and is 30 bucks on Amazon. Comes in black or white. They are the "Scosche in-ear Increased Dynamic Range Earphones with TapLINE Control Technology". Tapline is the nifty mic/volume call control thing that is on those Apple in-ear headphones, except these aren't 70 bucks. The sound is totally decent; no, it's not Klipsch or Bose, but its worth every penny of the sales price and then some, in my opinion.

I have this set, and I am very happy with them. No, I do not work for or own stock in the company, etc. I just love that they do everything that the expensive headphones do for half the price.

11. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for.

12. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

WHAT?? are you serious?? haha

My shures are a beast!! I snowboard with them, freebord with them, workout with them, wear them at the beach, in hot and cold weather and they keep on rocking with no problems and have for years now!!

13. littvay thread starter macrumors member

I guess we'll see. I figured it was with the <$4 risk. I'll report back when I have results (hopefully report will have something on quality, that means it arrived). :)

But it is also good to know who people considered trusted chinese retailers.