Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpr007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
As title, I've never used windows on a mac before, and I won't use it much, so don't want to spend much.

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Besides the purchase of a Windows 7 key, you have to buy software to allow virtual machines on your mac, like Parallels or VMWare Fussion.

OP wouldn't need any additional VM software if they just use Apple's Boot Camp (as long as they don't mind rebooting into Windows when they need it).

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
OP wouldn't need any additional VM software if they just use Apple's Boot Camp (as long as they don't mind rebooting into Windows when they need it).
That's true, I completely forgot about it, maybe because it's not possible to use OSX and Windows side by side, but given the OP wanted the "cheapest way", it certainly applies.

Reactions: tpr007

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Purchase a Windows 7 key.

Download windows 10 and use with Windows 7 key to activate it.

Where would you recommend getting a scam-free, supported copy of Windows 7 Pro? From my poking around, the path to obtaining one seems to be pretty sketchy (unless you buy retail, which comes fairly close to the price of Windows 10 itself, eh?).

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Cheapest way is to use VirtualBox. Not as fancy as the paid options, but it's also infinitely cheaper.

(I'm assuming VB works for WIn10, I've had no need or desire to run Windows on my macs in the last five years so may be out of date)

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Where would you recommend getting a scam-free, supported copy of Windows 7 Pro? From my poking around, the path to obtaining one seems to be pretty sketchy (unless you buy retail, which comes fairly close to the price of Windows 10 itself, eh?).

I think the for refurbished computers version you can find on Amazon will work fine. If you are a student or have someone in your family that is one setup a dreamspark account, it will give you access to all sorts of Microsoft software free of charge.

viperacr99

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
KC
I've used Win10 running in a VirtualBox virtual machine. For occasional use for most things it worked fine. VirtualBox is free so you'll only need the Windows 10 license. I purchased it on Amazon and got electronic delivery so I had the key immediately. No rebooting to change OS, no disk partitioning, and if you want to get rid of it some day, simply delete it like any other file.

If you were willing to spend another $70-$80, Parallels or VMWare offerings have much better performance than VirtualBox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.