Cheapest legit way to get Windows on my MB?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tpr007, May 2, 2016.

1. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

As title, I've never used windows on a mac before, and I won't use it much, so don't want to spend much.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Purchase a Windows 7 key.

Download windows 10 and use with Windows 7 key to activate it.

3. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Besides the purchase of a Windows 7 key, you have to buy software to allow virtual machines on your mac, like Parallels or VMWare Fussion.

4. brewmonkey macrumors regular

OP wouldn't need any additional VM software if they just use Apple's Boot Camp (as long as they don't mind rebooting into Windows when they need it).

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

That's true, I completely forgot about it, maybe because it's not possible to use OSX and Windows side by side, but given the OP wanted the "cheapest way", it certainly applies.

6. brewmonkey macrumors regular

Where would you recommend getting a scam-free, supported copy of Windows 7 Pro? From my poking around, the path to obtaining one seems to be pretty sketchy (unless you buy retail, which comes fairly close to the price of Windows 10 itself, eh?).

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Cheapest way is to use VirtualBox. Not as fancy as the paid options, but it's also infinitely cheaper.

(I'm assuming VB works for WIn10, I've had no need or desire to run Windows on my macs in the last five years so may be out of date)

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I think the for refurbished computers version you can find on Amazon will work fine. If you are a student or have someone in your family that is one setup a dreamspark account, it will give you access to all sorts of Microsoft software free of charge.

9. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Try this site for key http://www.vip4sale.com/ they appear legit and offer prompt service

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

http://jitujoneseuuk.myshopify.com

The above site is what I used. At the time I think it was 1 from them and 10 from another or the other way round. But both companies delivered within minutes of my PayPal payment.

11. Jack Neill macrumors member

Jack Neill

The cheapest, although not always recommended way is join Windows Insider and use 10 for free.

12. viperacr99 macrumors newbie

I've used Win10 running in a VirtualBox virtual machine. For occasional use for most things it worked fine. VirtualBox is free so you'll only need the Windows 10 license. I purchased it on Amazon and got electronic delivery so I had the key immediately. No rebooting to change OS, no disk partitioning, and if you want to get rid of it some day, simply delete it like any other file.

If you were willing to spend another $70-$80, Parallels or VMWare offerings have much better performance than VirtualBox.

13. tpr007 thread starter macrumors regular

tpr007

I'll probably use Bootcamp and boot into it. It will be used rarely

14. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

15. tpr007 thread starter macrumors regular

tpr007