Cheapest Logic Board Repair in the US?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by moffett07, Jul 12, 2010.

1. moffett07 macrumors newbie

Hi all!

First time poster, long time reader.

I was wondering what the best options were for getting my logic board repaired/replaced. It short circuited/"fried" and I was wondering how much it would cost to have it repaired. It was an internal problem, there was no liquid damage and it wasn't from excessive wear/tear. It's out of warranty and I'm debating whether it is a better idea to sell it for parts or try and get it repaired.

Thoughts?

I'm in the Baltimore/DC area if that helps!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Unfortunately, you're better off selling it for parts than you are repairing it. Especially if you're going to have to pay someone for labor as well.

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Actually, Apple (and we) offer flat-rate repairs for MacBooks who don't have physical damage for $280. They or we will replace the main logic board in your Mac, and any other components that don't pass diagnostic testing, and guarantee the computer for 90 days.

Not a bad deal, and surely your repaired MacBook will be worth more than $280 afterwards.

It's not beyond economical repair.

4. moffett07 thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds like a great deal. I'll definitely be looking into this.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The OP could sell the MacBook on ebay for $3-400 and take the $300 they would've spent on the logic board and then buy a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro for about $200 more. Then they would have a full year warranty and a better computer.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Here's my reason to no

Let X be the cost of your computer, ****ed, sold on eBay.

Let Y be the worth of your computer, similarly specced, assuming it worked, selling on craigslist.

Let Z be the cost of repairing your board, whether through replacing it or through component level repair.

Y - X < Z

This formula almost always holds true, and is one of the reasons there are so few component level repair joints in the U.S. for more modern consumer electronics. Why I stopped bothering, anyway.

One example,

If cost of component level repair is $350, the machine dead goes for $279 on ebay, the machine in working condition is $450 on craigslist, it would be $179 extra to have your present board repaired. And the warranties on liquid spills offered by most component level repair services are(rightfully so, considering the damage that you can't spot) very very short.

Or as one of the mentors at avatar told me, "aint no one paying $75/hr to have a $200 receiver fixed"