Cheapest MacBook Air with 128GB SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

What's the cheapest used/refurb/new macbook air with a 128gb ssd that will still have a couple years of usability? Considering to buy a cheap gift of a first macbook air. Prefer 13". Thanks

2. dawgfang macrumors regular

Get a Best Buy $150 off Macbook coupon (ebay) and get an 11" for about $700.
    It's the newest model too. Good luck.

3. Boyd01, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Wrong link?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13

I would recommend getting the 2013 11" MacBook Air 256GB for 800$ at BestBuy. It costs 900$ on the refurbished store, but you can get it new for 100$ less with a student discount at BestBuy. It is the best deal around, as long as you don't mind the 11" form factor. There is literally no noticeable difference between the 2013 and the 2014 model, so if you can get a 2013 model for even 50$ less, get that model instead.

Best,
    Matt

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Oops! :eek: Yes, that is the correct link, have edited my post above.

6. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Hi guys, you wouldn't recommend going out and look to buy an earlier model for a lower price? I'm on a budget and buying for someone who doesn't need much power in their laptop.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Three in a row... LOL...

Yes, an earlier used MBA should be perfectly fine for basic web/email/documents. I'd probably not go earlier than a Late 2010 model since that is when the 4GB memory models became available as an upgrade option. The 2GB models may be more limited going forward with future OS updates IMHO. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Air for info on differences between models.

FWIW, my mid-2011 4GB memory/256GB SSD 13" MBA runs fine with Mavericks. I'd recommend a 2012 model though since that's when the USB 3.0 ports were introduced.

That said, there's a bit more "safety" in buying a refurb from Apple.com since you get a full year warranty from Apple, and can also buy Apple Care if you wish (or buy with a credit card that extends the warranty). See http://www.refurb.me/us/notebook/macbook_air for what may be available and to get notifications when a model comes in stock.

Nothing wrong with buying a used MBA from somewhere else, but if from an individual you're going to need a bit more knowledge to truly evaluate the system. You would likely save a bit of money, but also take on more risk.