Cheapest MacBook Pro VS Most expensive iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by torger, Jan 27, 2009.

1. torger macrumors newbie

Hi folks!

My first thread here so dont go crazy on me, hehe. :eek: I'm a norwegian so my spelling and grammar is far from correct. Anyways:

Currently i have a white macbook and im very satisfied with it. I recently sold my last windows computer and now its time for a new mac.

My options are either the cheapest macbook pro or the most expensive imac. I know the pros and cons about portability and so on. My question is: what is the difference spec-wise? And personally, what would you get?

I'm mostly a photographerm but lately i have been doing more video editing and i think it will be a lot more in the future. Therefore, think video guys! ;)

All help and opinions appreciated:D

Marius

2. AlthalusMB macrumors newbie

Same Issue

Hi Torger.

I'm having the exact same dilemma!

In my mind, I can sell my current MB if I get an MBP - which would actually make the top spec 17" a more reasonable purchase, and not far off the Top Imac.

So its either 24" Imac and 13" MB for portable work

Or Just a 17" MBP.

Spec wise - the Imac can have a 3 Ghz and the MBP at lowest is 2.44 (15"), best is 2.93 on the 17".

I think it depends on whether you need the performance of the MBP to be mobile, or if you could live with it on a desk. If you have the option to buy an Imac and keep your existing laptop, then you really just need to think how much you need the bigger screen and better graphics when you are away from home.

Also - they might be about to release a new Imac - which could change things - though this could be in March, June.. or next week.

I'm faced with the exact same problem. Here were my Pro/Con arguments.

Imac
    + Bigger Screen
    + Cheaper
    + More Storage
    + Brighter Screen
    + Great Graphics
    - Not Portable

Laptop
    + Great Graphics for Mobile use
    + Portable
    + Handy trackpad things like multitouch
    - Battery Life
    - Hybrid SLI currently still requires a Logout

I'm sure there are many more. You just need to decide whether you can live without the Top end when you are away from the Imac (If you keep your MB).

Hope that helps.. Im still just as confused!

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Get the new unibody MacBook and buy the 24" apple cinema display. You'll get the best of both worlds.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I am where you are. I bought my Teacher/Daughter a 15" MBP for Christmas. I am smitten, it is one awesome machine, especially when loaded with 6GB of OWC Ram. The 17" can take 8GB, tie that with an 2.93 GHZ Processor and a 320GB 7200 RPM HDD and you got something.
    That being said, just maybe there will be Quad Core i-Mac's on the horizon.
    I am clueless as to how that would compare, so the waiting and research continues

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

The new Unibody Macbook/MBP are really fast with their new Penryn processors on a 1333MHz FSB + DDR3 RAM. Some would argue that performance is equal is not a bit better than the current iMacs (with slower DDR2 and 1066MHz FSB + slightly older Penryn CPUs E8xxx series).

That's part of the reason why a lot of people were ticked off when no new iMacs with updated hardware inside were released at MacWorld '09. Maybe Apple will silently update the iMacs like they did with the White Macbook (now with the same nVidia 9400 chipset as the unibodies, but still with DDR2 RAM). So if you want to wait a bit, or just get a Unibody Macbook/MBP.

Like other posters mentioned, you can get a Unibody Macbook / Macbook Pro and get a 24" LED Cinema display (if $$ allows) and it'd be a pretty sweet set up. Or just buy another brand 24" LCD and save some $$. The iMac's have faster 7200RPM hard drives so might feel "snappier" than a Macbook/MBP but its real easy to change hard drives in macbook's nowadays so you can get a 7200RPM hard drive and pop-it-in.

Maybe get a 15" Macbook Pro Unibody to retain some portability (sell your white Macbook to recoup some costs) and then get a 24" LED Cinema Display (or cheaper 24" other brand LCD), external keyboard + mouse (for desktop mode) and get best of both worlds

6. torger thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answers guys!

- First of all, i will keep my MB. I use it for schoolstuff primary.
    - $$$ dont allow any 24" display, but its really sweet stuff:eek:

How big is the chance for a silent iMac update very soon? Im afraid i will buy and dont look back if i'll get the imac, i hate waiting! hehe

EDIT: And how do the mpb compare to the imac - video-editing wise. In addition i will also do some gaming.

7. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Right now the new MacBook Pro has more graphic power then the iMac.

The [NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB] is better then [NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory]

But the iMac has more processor power then the MacBook Pros

[3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo] > [2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo]

You wouldn't see the difference.

8. torger thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks. Then the difference aint that big.

Is there a chance for a silent update very soon? The new rumour said june and if it is true I wont bother waiting.