Cheapest memory for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CBGFilms, Jun 1, 2011.

1. CBGFilms, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

CBGFilms macrumors regular

Hi,

Looking to upgrade my 21.5" i7 mid-2011 iMac from 4 GB of memory to 8 GB, at first I was thinking of getting an 8 GB kit and then I'd have 12, but I figure that would probably be overkill.

On Crucial I've found this 4 GB kit for £32.39, theres also an actual 4 GB module, it's more expensive but there isn't any performance increase is there?

Although that is quite cheap, is there any places I can get this cheaper?

Thanks.

EDIT: I found this, will two of these be okay? Works out cheaper.

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Crucial RAM is the best!
    I have 4GB in my iMac and it was worth every penny.

3. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Penny Wise and Pound Foolish.

Go with the Crucial.

You have a pricey, high performance computer so possibly saving 6 pounds on something as critical as memory might not be the best way to go

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

exactly.

You just spent $1600 and now you are trying to save $5.

5. CBGFilms thread starter macrumors regular

But surely if it's the same then does it matter? :L

6. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi CBG,
    never buy the cheapest in anything (and I hope you don't treat your own work with the same attitude...).

7. CBGFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Well if I can save £5 then I will!? And the other link that I found is Crucial too? So I was wanting to know if that would work? Geez.

8. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

It is not, the speeds are different which will make the stock RAM function at the lower speed as well.

9. Steamrunner macrumors member

The specs on the Amazon module (which is a Crucial module) appear to be the same as the stuff you get when you search for iMac-specific kit, but it's a different part number. I'd give Crucial a call and ask them if they confirm it's OK for your iMac (don't see why it wouldn't be). On the Crucial site that module is the same price as the iMac-specific module, so I would guess it's just cheaper as it's from Amazon. You may get it quicker direct from Crucial, though.

On the plus side, as it's actually Amazon not a marketplace seller, you should be fine returning it if there is a problem.

10. Steamrunner macrumors member

They're both 1333 and CL9 - I wasn't aware there was anything else to worry about. Whats the difference?

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You are correct! Reading comp fail on my part, confused the 10600 and the 1333.

12. Steamrunner macrumors member

Phew - haven't paid much attention to RAM specs for a while so thought there was something new I didn't know about! :eek:

13. Brown Trout macrumors member

Crucial for around $65 worked perfectly in my HP 6910p to reach 4GB from the stock 2GB. I took the advice to get all 4 rather than just 2 since I had 2 slots with 1 each.

And their CrucialScan utility is pretty good at picking what's compatible.