Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
I know a little OT but i figured if anyone would be switching hand held devices for high risk environments (snowboarding ect) it would be us iPhone users...

What is the CHEAPEST cell phone that will work with our AT&T sim cards that i can buy locally at a big box store (walmart best buy att store)?

so far ive only found pre-paid AT&T phones for about 30 bucks at Wal-Mart, I did see cheaper phones there hanging but im not sure whether they'll work with our SIMs on the ATT network...

can we use TracPhones? or am i stuck with ATT prepaid only?

ideas?

joebobthehob

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I know Tracfones are locked. I imagine Tmobile's prepaid phones are too. So unless you want to try to talk them into unlocking one of their phones just go with the AT&T Gophone.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I saw get the go phone and just call it good. It should last you years since you are only using it during snow boarding.

Now I have a pool of old AT&T cell phones I can pool from that I have put my sim card into because it was higher risk at the time but I have saved the old phones for a reason.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
well the rest of the story is this...

i have been using a att GoPhone while on the mountain, it was $29 i think. but the phone only lasted about a month. (I ride a lot) it no longer recognizes a sim card... im assuming the phone has moisture damage from being in my pocket or pack, was slugging through 40" of powder last wed. not wet but definitely moist. I figured if there was an even cheaper phone that would work with our sims, regardless of the network, id go for it.

4phun

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
well the rest of the story is this...

i have been using a att GoPhone while on the mountain, it was $29 i think. but the phone only lasted about a month. (I ride a lot) it no longer recognizes a sim card... im assuming the phone has moisture damage from being in my pocket or pack, was slugging through 40" of powder last wed. not wet but definitely moist. I figured if there was an even cheaper phone that would work with our sims, regardless of the network, id go for it.

You can also take the simple precaution of dropping your cell phone into a zip lock baggie. That will lessen the likelihood of moisture damage while engaging in out door activities. No need to remove most cellphones to use them as they work fairly well while still in the bag.

This also works for hams and expensive ham radio transceivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.