Cheapest place for 64gb ram for nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by drunkn, Dec 29, 2013.

1. drunkn macrumors member

I know OWC has a kit for $895 but I'm wondering if anyone has scoured for compatible pieces elsewhere (newegg, amazon) for cheaper?

Somewhat related, do 32gb sticks exist (i.e. 128gb max)?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Crucial's price is $879.98. My guess is you're not going to find it for much less from a reputable place.

And I haven't seen anything about 32GB sticks yet.

3. Umbongo, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Hynix: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=D3-18R16GH
    Samsung: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=D318R16GS1

Superbiiz have Samsung 1600MHz for $480, but it is out of stock. Memory4less have Hynix 1600MHz for $680. Crucial have 1333MHz for $900, but Micron (the parent company) have 1600Mz and 1866Mhz in production, which I'm guessing is going to OEMs at the moment.

Memory4less do have HP branded modules at 1866Mhz for $1,500 each.

4. Average Pro macrumors regular

Quality?

Several members have made excellent recommendations on RAM from vendors other than Apple. I think it's amazing that you can upgrade to 32GB of RAM for only $400. When I purchased my oMP in 2008, I think that price would have purchased 2GB.

I do not have the technical experience to make a RAM qualified statement about the exact (or similar) traits of RAM by 3rd party companies. However, I do know that my local Mac/Apple authorized repair center has noted that on several occasions they've identified the problem as 3rd party RAM.

I bring this up only because I was wondering if anyone else has come across this. If my requirements required the 64GB option, I might consider 3rd party. But at this time, I'm Ok paying the Apple price.

5. petsounds macrumors 65816

Totally agree. It's definitely a factor I'm considering with my 3,1 Pro.

I've had Crucial RAM fail on me before, so I now stick to OWC. There's a difference between good value and cheap, and I don't do cheap RAM because failing RAM causes too many weird problems to spend time diagnosing. RAM should be one of the most stable parts of a system. OWC is good value because it's good quality RAM, and a much better deal than the Apple RAM tax.

6. drunkn thread starter macrumors member

7. keigo macrumors regular

look like good price.

I'm wondering can we just install 2 x 16gb only and left the 2 other socket empty?

It should be alright right? Cause it look wasteful to buy 4 x 8gb to get 32gb and then change it to 4 x 16gb again 1~2 years later

8. drunkn thread starter macrumors member

Yeah you can definitely just use 2, but as far as I know filling all 4 is ideal because it adds to the throughput/speed of the RAM usage.