Cheapest Place to Buy iWork or Office 2008?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Clete2, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I'm looking for a good deal on either iWork or Office 2008. I am using the trials of both now and I think that Office probably has more features, but it is definitely slower and it is made by Microsoft. :-/

I'd like to buy one or the other, but I want a good deal. I am eligible for student discount. So far the cheapest I have found is Amazon:
    iWork on Amazon $53
    Office 2008 on Amazon $110

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Can't speak for SC, but KY has a deal through the state where state employees, teachers, and students can get discounted MS products. When I bought Office, I paid $65.

Can you get Office for Mac via The Ultimate Steal? I don't see it listed...

3. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I thought that in a few months microsoft was coming out with Office 2009, maybe you can wait and get the latest version that they work out some bugs like the slowness of hopefully

4. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1039683.htm

I saw that about the Ultimate Steal. Unfortunately it looks like it is not available for Mac. I actually own legal copies of both Office Home & Student 2007 and Enterprise 2007. Unfortunately the only way for me to run these now is to run it in Parallels and that is SLOW and uses a lot of RAM.

I haven't heard about a state discount system.

Hmm. I think it will be Office 2011, but nothing is announced yet. I am hoping for a deal similar to the one they are offering for Office 2007. If you buy Office 2007 now, you get Office 2010 for free. Of course, these are Windows versions.

I also don't want to spend $100 on Office.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

There's always EBAY.

MS Office 2010 will be out this Fall. It restores a number of features removed in 2008, so if you need maximum compatibility then wait.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Don't forget to check your own college or university system's bookstore (or computer sales center, if there is one). You might find a very low price there.

For example, State Univ of NY students in my area can buy Office 2008 for something like $15.

It could be that your university system has something similar.

7. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

I'll second the suggestion to check your Student Store if they carry it as the Amazon price looks like the normal price though discounted slightly.

In the UK, I was able to get Office 2008 for Half the normal price (£38 / $60) from a Academic reseller like Software4Students and I'll suggest trying to find a similar one in the US.

8. jesterscourt macrumors regular

I'm running the Office2k10 beta on my Win7 desktop... it's okay, but I was just fine with 2007, to be honest.

What are you referring to that is missing in the 2008 mac version restored in 2k10?

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Mainly VBA support, but it might not return to the Home and Student edition. I'm also hoping that the analysis featured gutted from Excel will return. And to add to the problems, Office 2007 changed to a different equation editor that isn't present in Office for Mac so documents with equations look like crap and can't be edited. Frankly, if you really have to be compatible you need to run the Windows version in a virtual machine.